Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I think I know the answer to this but just wanted to make sure. For reference, I’m rebuilding/refurbishing an 03 vstar 1100 classic that was slightly wrecked and sat for a year. I replaced the spark plugs a bit ago and although I’ve had the bike running as I was sun hung the carbs, I was just fooling around and noticed that the spark plug wires are very loose on the the spark plugs, they don’t seem to actually fit over the top of the spark plug, I don’t get the reassuring click that it is fully seated. The boot goes over the spark plug but the terminal on the wire isn’t fully connecting to the spark plug. I grabbed one of the old spark plugs and tried connecting it but the same thing. I know that in some vehicles you actually unscrew the little metal cap on the spark plug to reveal the threads and the spark plug wire fits better. Is that these bikes are setup or am I just not pushing hard enough to get it to seat properly?

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
I know that in some vehicles you actually unscrew the little metal cap on the spark plug to reveal the threads and the spark plug wire fits better. Is that these bikes are setup or am I just not pushing hard enough to get it to seat properly?
When I pulled my plugs a few weeks ago (first time owner as of 3 months ago) I was surprised to see the threads instead of the bulbous pin. Did you look at the repair/maint manual?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lorax, I’m not at home with my manual. Was just thinking about it and decided to post to see what others have experienced but was planning to check the manual when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
if they old plugs fit with the cap on the new ones should also. I would remove a plug from the bike try it not in the bike , if it is snug look in the plug hole and see if something is in there around the plug hole . If it is not snug take a pair of pliers and squeeze the connection a little tighter.Then try the plug again till you get it right.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jspree, yeah the old plugs don’t fit either. Basically it’s just sitting on top of the plug making contact, it’s not actually fitting around the the end of the plug, and the boot is keeping it there, barely making contact and I’m pretty sure once it’s running with the vibration of the bike itself just from running and then any vibration from riding on the road, there’s no way it would keep a good connection. I’ll check it again and the manual once I get home but I’m pretty sure the little cap needs to be unscrewed from the spark plug. I was just kinda confused since the old spark plugs still had the cap on them when I removed them and I don’t remember the plug wires being loose when I first acquired the bike and began taking things apart, it was probably 3 months ago when I unplugged them and replaced the spark plugs but didn’t get around to firing this bike up for the first time until last week.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,438 Posts
The boot should slightly snap on. It's not a super secure snap, but that's the design. Here's photo of plugs and boots.

Reactions: Louisiana Jeff

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, and that’s what I’m missing, the snap. According to the pic, it looks like I do need to remove the little cap from the end of the spark plug to get that secure snap connection. Now that I’ve seen that pic with the new boots, do you know if I’m able to replace the spark plug wires and boots without replacing the coils. I’m going for a certain color theme of black with red accents on this bike and I’d really like to put red spark plug wires and red boots on it but don’t feel like paying for new coils since the current ones are fine.

·
9,438 Posts
The plug wire is made onto coil. The boot is replaceable.

If you want to dress up the plug wire, or any other wire, colored wire loom works very well. Comes in lots of colors and sizes. Just an idea.

Reactions: arby

·
9,438 Posts
I use with loom a lot to cover and secure loose wires. I normally use black, but color is up to you. If you go this route buy several sizes to ensure snug fit. Here's some of my examples where I've added wire loom. To me, looks much nicer than loose wires.

Reactions: compjan

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
467 Posts
Back in the 70's I bought these things I think they were called sparkies, that went on the plug end and lit up every time it fired. I had a blue set they were pretty cool looking when it ran. The old bike was dual fire so it was almost a steady light.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
yup not quite that ugly looking but same ides. Ones I had actually fit and looked like they belonged.
I added another link, it is called "sparkies"

Reactions: scootersage

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,199 Posts
When I bought new plugs for my '05, NGK, they came with adapters to screw on to the top of the plug. But the Star does not use those adapters, so I threw those away. If you left those on your plugs then your plug wires are not going to fit over the adapters. Which means your plug boots are not too loose, but rather they are not pushed on fully because those adapters are too large.

Remove them and just use the plug with the bare screw exposed. That will properly fit the wire ends.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I had a friend with a old snowmobile with a similar problem. what happened was when the old plug was removed the little screw on cap that came with the old plug was still sitting in the plug boot. I guess that when they pull the plug off the unscrewed it instead of pulling it out. Might not be the problem, might be.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts