Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering when you guys change the plugs on these bikes. I just picked up a 2007 Classic 1100 yesterday with only 18000 kms. It appears to be exceptionally well looked after. I think it still has the original plugs. I didn't get an owners manual for it so not sure when they should be changed.

Attachments

·
2,502 Posts
I change mine every spring as part of my spring tune up and check over. I'm not sure how often the manual says to change them but since I average about 7000 miles per year I figure that's about right. I'm sure someone will chime in with the correct mileage or time.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Spark plug replacement

I was wondering when you guys change the plugs on these bikes. I just picked up a 2007 Classic 1100 yesterday with only 18000 kms. It appears to be exceptionally well looked after. I think it still has the original plugs. I didn't get an owners manual for it so not sure when they should be changed.
Owners manual for 2010 suggests replacing spark plugs every 8000 miles or 12 months - check the plugs every 4000 miles or 6 months.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
If you buy the plugs online they are about $2 each. Whenever I buy something from bikebandit or revzilla I always stock up on plugs and oil filters and any o rings that get used here and there.

Anytime you think the bike might not be running right pulling the plugs and seeing how they look will tell you if its running rich or lean, burning oil, or running hot. I figure if I take a plug out I might as well put new ones in for $4. Think of it this way, it would be really handy to be able to look at the top of the pistons, or the face of the valves and see how things are burning in the combustion chamber... the cone of the spark plug is a nice white little canvas for the exhaust to paint on, and it easily unscrews...

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,457 Posts
I'll agree with KCW, plugs are cheap. I change plugs at every oil change, is that overkill, yes. I daily commute and want bike at 100% at all times. Plus, in the old days with two stroke bikes I used to carry extra plugs with me, hard to teach old dog new tricks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts