Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 XVS650 and I am trying to remove the fuel tank. On the spedometer I have the bottom screw out but I have backed out the top two about 200 revolutions and they are not coming out. The top part of the spedo is still secured in there. I have tried to muscle it to see if its jamed but im closed to cracking the plastic. What am I missing here?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I beleive theres there's a nut on the bottom side of those bolts. It should be secured but i know i only have 1 top bolt cuz i lost a nut during tank removal one time. It's possible maybe those nuts are spinning even tho they shouldn't be. Also the trick with removing the gauge is i wiggle it up a bith the reach under and unthread speedo cable from gauge. Then u can lift it enuff to disconnect the electrical plug. Some people disconnect speedo cable down at gear to lift the gauge enuff but I've found i can get it up at the gauge, used long needle nose the first time and it's only been reinstalled finger tight ever since.

·
Registered
39 Posts
never had a problem removing mine. done it lots of times. Just with an alen key. I didn't have to hold any nuts when removing.... I'm thinking they are suppose to be welded in and yours broke free. If the head is lose can you get anything under the head and pry up a bit and turn the bolt at the same time to get pressure on the nuts so they will not turn or lift up on the front of the speedo and turn the bolts.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The nuts are rubber mounted and apparently are spinning in the mounting location under the speedo cover. I'd do as Worty suggested and try prying up slightly on the cover as you turn them. If you can't get the screws out to get the cover off you'll most likely have too drill them out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I followed your advice and was able to remove it by lifting up on the top of the spedo while unscrewing the top two screws. I appreciate the help!

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I think I would secure it with JB weld in case you have to take it apart again in the future, unless hard mounting the nut like that is a problem. Just my .02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts