Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone needs to break the ice so here it goes.

I have an issue with the speed at which the navigation on the site happens. It may take up to 10 seconds for a page to come up and then the same when I hit the return button. Do other members have this issue or should I look at my system peripherals?

Another point I have is with loading pics from a thread. I sometimes get a blackened screen when I want to look at a pic that a member has attached. No popup screen to tell me that I have no privileges just blackened. I'll exit the site, come back and sometimes I can see it, other times not. Not sure what is causing this.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Corsair, I'm no expert but I've experienced the same problems. I think the speed issue is due to the servers being used. If there are a lot of members logged in on the site, it may slow things down. As to the 'black screen' issue - If you're using IE (like me) the only way I solved the problem is to hit the 'refresh' button when you get one of these black screens; then try to open the picture again. A pain in the *** I know, but it seems to work. Give it a try.

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
I use Firefox on the computer and whatever the system is on an Android tablet and have no issues like that. Sounds like you need to check your peripherals.

·
Registered
689 Posts
As a general rule, when a site is slow to load it is not the site itself or the servers that are the problem. It's advertisements and/or advertising related scripts that are hosted by some third server somewhere.

The best solution that I have found is a plug-in called Ad-Block Plus. By default it is configured to block annoying ads but allows non-annoying ads to come through so the sites can still get some ad revenue.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I never had a issue with growing this site with a pc. I do like the app on my phone works flawlessly and is quick. I agree about linux aka ubuntu. I converted my mother in law over about 6 months ago when windows took a dump on her laptop and no recovery disk could be found. It was a here since you need your computer and we will need to wait for toshibia to send a recovery cd try this. When the cd arrived 2 weeks later she refused to have me put windows back on.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
810 Posts
I never had a issue with growing this site with a pc. I do like the app on my phone works flawlessly and is quick. I agree about linux aka ubuntu. I converted my mother in law over about 6 months ago when windows took a dump on her laptop and no recovery disk could be found. It was a here since you need your computer and we will need to wait for toshibia to send a recovery cd try this. When the cd arrived 2 weeks later she refused to have me put windows back on.

Yes....Ubuntu is so trouble free that when something is not going right, I find it's usually a server or ISP somewhere. Been using it since 2008 and love it. Virus free, malware free, fast, safe, industrial strength, auto-install drivers, loads of free software, etc.... My mom is 63 and non-computer-literate, and she loves it!

Addressing the slow loading issue: We live in a small town, and right after the kids get out of school and go home to their play stations and computers, the internet gets clogged and slows down. Also, in the evenings when the whole town is watching tv it will slow down considerably. That's also when most people will visit the forum, so their servers could be clogging. Pictures and streaming video take the longest time to load.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yeah if I can't ride I need to fire up the ps3 for some cod. Actually I know alot of comcast customers still have d2 and are being upgraded to d3 this year should increase the speed. No throttling down your 25 m speed to help you neighbors 7m speed.

·
Registered
810 Posts
No throttling down your 25 m speed to help you neighbors 7m speed.

What?? Comcast throttles it down??!! They told me they don't do that and that it MUST be my computer! ;) ;)

If a person has window$, they can hit ctrl-alt-esc at the same time and it will bring up some graphs so you can see how much of your resources (ram, processor, etc) are being used, and also your network (internet) connection usage. One may be able to do some diagnostics that way.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
354 Posts
They sure do 60% are still running docsis 2 which shares bandwidth even if you have a d3 modem its controlled on their end its bs but its betting upgraded slowly

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.