Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lucky the past few years by not getting a speeding ticket, it's not because I obey the speed limit all the time. Last ticket was a tad over 5 years ago in my Mustang. Found an interesting article about states that issue the most and the least amount of speeding tickets. It's not motorcycle specific but still interesting. When was last speeding ticket?
https://www.yonkershonda.com/blog/united-speeders-of-america

·
Registered
12 Posts
Got my license in 2004, am at 2 tickets across 19 encounters.
1st ticket was a graduate (probationary license) violation for too many people in the car (only allowed to have 1 non relative in car, I had 2).
2nd ticket was originally 2 tickets but one got tore up before it was handed to me. Exhibition driving in a borrowed 350z (reckless ticket got tore up).

I do have a written warning for 90 in a 55 from July 2015.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Its been many years since Ive had a speeding ticket, nothing on my license for a long time

when Im riding my bikes I hardly ever look at the speedo, have to take my eyes off the road to see it

on my VS650 I can tell when Im hitting 60mph, in 5th gear there is a noticeable vibration in the engine. It goes away again at about 63.

Dont really have a feel for the Royal Star yet, the V4 engine is very smooth in 1st -4th all the way up to 60mph. The 0.75 overdrive / 5th gear has a strong vibe, esp when I get on the throttle at 55mph (not fast enough to be in 5th). It actually blurs my vision.

If I ever get a speeding ticket, it will be on Ursa - she's a bear! :^)

·
2,802 Posts
The last one I got was in a truck. I was on a 100km/h (60mph) highway at night and came upon a construction zone (no one was working at night). I slowed down but it dropped from 100 to 50km/h (30mph) in about 50 yards. They got me doing 75 as I passed the 50 sign, even though I was still slowing down. Normally I would've expected them to let it slide, but an English speaking truck driver in Quebec has a big target on his back I guess.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I'm glad to see California wasn't on the "most" given list. My last one was about 15 years ago on highway 5 going south near Coalinga where a "bear in the air" clocked me at 82 and wrote me up for 75 back when it was still a 65 mph limit. Now I use Waze in the car and on the bike and when I see a emoji for a cop, on either side of the freeway, I keep it to less than 10 over just in case. The extra minute or two isn't worth it, at least that's the thinking as I get older :). And, I have a lot of folks passing me at 15 or 20 over the limit so I know I'm safe.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's interesting, cense I got my truck I have only been pulled over for my plate being out of date, in the first couple of years I noticed that work trucks don't get pulled over in my area unless they are be really stupid or unsafe, as a group they can get up to 75 in a 55 in some areas.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Have had many issues with cops lately in georga. I personally haven't, but the wife has. Really upsetting her since she hasn't had a ticket since she was in her teens.

ya, I have an unclockable speeds warning ticket, traffic was just too dense for him to get a read on me (was going 125mph).
Did get any ticket or warning for going 50 in a 25 and blowing a red light at the same time, think my explaination was ok to the cop. explained I saw a car behind the tree, and saw the light go yellow and didn't feel safe slowing down in time for the light, so I just speed up to make it though before the car could start rolling through, still a bad move. The car happened to be that police car.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
One of my vivid childhood memories, when I was 5 I stayed at my aunt & uncles house for a week when my brother was born.

My aunt took me along somewhere in Buffalo, and she got stopped for speeding. They had a brand new-fangled Radar Speed Gun and they caught her dead in her tracks.

She was going 31mph in a 30mph zone, and they gave her a ticket.

She was livid.

1962: those were the days!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm 64. My first traffic ticket was in 1982 at Osan Air Base, Korea for running a stop sign on my 10-speed bike. No joke.

My first (and only) motor vehicle ticket was about 15 years back. I was in my 95 Firebird doing 35 in a 25.

My only time on a motorcycle was on my beloved 250 Virago for doing 70 in a 55 but the cop let me go.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Just Friday I was stopped on my bike—first time ever—as I was approaching Camp Wood Tx on 337. Real Co. Shiriff. I thought I was doing about 63 in a 60. Turns out, I was doing 63 in a 55. Not many speed limit signs between Leakey and Camp Wood...it’s never above 55. The Shiriff was actually very nice...ran my license and let me go. TONS of out of town bikers on the “three sisters” in Spring. Glad this one saw me as a welcome tourist and not a nuisance.

·
6,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is your speed limit too high or too low?

·
Registered
110 Posts
The only red I see is in Hawaii and from what the TV tell me that makes sense for most of the island, being either beaches, city or mountains.
70 maximum speed for NC is pretty good I see no need to go any faster, except maybe the thrill of it but safety is more important. Damn, I'm too young for this much maturity.

·
6,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In Texas most speed limit is 75, with some areas of 80 and others 85. Most drivers will push the 75 to 85, the 80 to 90 and 85 to 95. It's hard at times not to get run over when trying to just do the speed limit. Most roads are straight and flat. I recently averaged 84 for over an hour between fuel stops. It took my little brain a while to stop moving at speed, it was weird feeling. For most drivers in Texas if the speed limit was observed everything would be good. But the 10 MPH extra almost everyone takes is too much most of the time. Being a defensive driver with drivers around you going 90 and 95 can be interesting.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
70 maximum speed for NC is pretty good I see no need to go any faster, ...
I have family in Raleigh. I95 south of Virginia is the best highway I have been on in many years.

The civil engineers must have some way of measuring the pitch of the pavement many feet ahead. Driving my Fusion at 75mph the road is so uniform and well constructed that it feels like the car is parked. No bouncing or rumbling, completely quiet and smooth, even going over bridges. Its an autobahn quality highway.

If there was no traffic I could see that opening up to 80mph or more.

BTW, Im surprised this thread has not jinxed anyone.... yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts