Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come to realize that my speedometer is reading a higer speen then actual. It seem to be accurate up to 45mph however, after that the error factor increases. At an actual speed of 70mph the speedometer reads +/-85 and if that's not bad enough it gets incrementally worse.

By big objection to this isn't that I'm going slower than what speedo shows, it that more miles are being registered than are actually being drive. I guess that's great if you're in a mileage contest but stinks for resale. Plus, it'll shut up the Ole'Lady ... "OMG your're going ..."

Can this be adjusted? Is this a "dealer" ony repair? or do I just Ditch the babe?:D

·
Registered
626 Posts
It appears that Yamaha makes there speedos read 10% higher then what they should read. My 1100 is out as well according to the gps and the way cars past me on the 401

·
Administrator
13,280 Posts
all production metric bikes (don't know about american made) have their speedometers calibrated to show 10% higher than actual speed. the reason for this has been debated tirelessly in just about every motorcycle forum. saw one forum where this information was requested from top execs at a Yamaha. the reply was a little vague and ambiguous. basically, all these companies do it and it must be part of some regulation.

your speedometer is independent of your odometer. your odometer is correct so don't worry about that. and there are ways to calibrate your speedo to show correct readings. here's one site that offers a fix:

http://www.speedotuner.com/

·
Registered
621 Posts
I don't remember where I saw this (maybe on here somewhere), but I read once that a car or motorcycle company can get into trouble if their speedometers read low, but within a certain range, it's okay for them to read high. There are factory tolerances on everything in the world including speedometers, so in order to be on the safe side for themselves, they set them to read a little bit high.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is the speed shown on my Garmen GPS as accurate on my bike as it is in my car? Does size of vehicle matter?

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Speedo proble solved

I purchased a gagit call the F4 Speedo Healer. took literally 5 minutes to install, 2 minutes to calibrate and now there is no percevible speed differance between GPS & Speedometer. I'm guessing the differance is around 0.5mph. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts