Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some testing with a GPS and found my speedometer was off by 9%. When I thought I was going 60 mph the GPS reading was 54 mph.

To correct this I purchased a SpeedoDRD from 12 o'clock labs. They are real easy to install (plug and play) and you're up and running in 15 minutes or less. Installation and programming is a snap and they have a formula on their website that calculates the parameters you need and you can print them out and program the module in seconds. Initially, I wasn't sure which wire to unplug but I matched the ends with the ends on the ones on the SpeedoDRD and picked the right one first time. All that was necessary was to take the side cover off and look for the matching connectors. Yup! 1 screw and then you have to take the seat off to route the wire and you're done.

Installed and took it for a test ride and it's now bang on. Wish I had done this sooner. Apparently the majority of metric bikes have inaccurate speedos, not sure why.

Anyone interested can easily check theirs by using a GPS. It's not so much that the speedo is off but that also affects the odometer so your bike may not have as many miles on it as you think it does.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Ive never even thought about it on my VS650.

Now I have to stick my hand held garmin on my bike and see how far its off.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive never even thought about it on my VS650.

Now I have to stick my hand held garmin on my bike and see how far its off.
Oddly enough I have a friend with a 2011 650 custom. Of the bikes we tested, 650, 950, and 1300 his speedo was right on. How come Yamaha got that one right and not any of the others. Be interesting to hear if yours is correct or not.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Oddly enough I have a friend with a 2011 650 custom. Of the bikes we tested, 650, 950, and 1300 his speedo was right on. How come Yamaha got that one right and not any of the others. Be interesting to hear if yours is correct or not.
Could have something to do with making EPA mileage numbers.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It's all about liability.
You get a ticket or an accident and sue because you were going FASTER than the speedometer indicated then millions of dollars are gone to lawsuits.
You'll also notice the odometers are more accurate than the speedometer. Go ahead and GPS a 100 mile run. My speedometer is reading fast 8% while the odometer is only 3%.
The odometer has to be closer because of warranty claims close to the mileage limits. Remember all them car lawsuits?
My 2013 F150 has a perfectly accurate odometer and 2 to 3% optimistic speedometer right off the lot. Same thing only cars are much closer to the truth.
Besides, doesn't every superbike rider like to say their 270 kph bike can easily crack 300kph?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Long as mine reads fast and not slow I'm good. When I'm riding with a group I go with the flow. If I'm by myself I know I'll never get a speeding ticket. Simple as that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
speedo off

I have a 2014, 1300 Tour (left-over ) bought "new" last year. my wife complained about how slow I rode when picking it up. I hadn't ridden for about 12 years so I was relearning a bit how to ride, but. I thought I was doing the speed limit. 1500 miles later I was tired of the numbers of people zooming around me on two lane roads and I checked speed with a GPS and found the same error. Now I always use the GPS for speed control. It is a safety hazard programmed into these bikes in my opinion since the odometer reads correctly. All I use the speedo for now is the low fuel light! Many happy safe riding miles to you this year.

P.S. if I get rear-ended and am able, Yamaha will get sued!!!

Charlie

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
gps will read 65 mph when the speedometer reads 68 mph on my 650 so it's not that far off on mine, they say the top speed for the 650 is 90 mph but i'v had mine at 95 on the gps although it took a while to get it there, after that the rev limiter kicks in, after doing that 70 mph feels comfortable i can tell you that

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I am aware of this speedometer accuracy issue with motorcycles. Guess I've never really considered testing mine. I suppose I would rather be going slower than the police officer's radar gun says that I'm going. Ha! - Good thread @BKnight, and thanks for the info about which speedo you got and the ease of install. Good to know!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe it's just me but I like to know exactly how fast I am going when I look at the speedometer. Don't like having to convert in my head while riding. OK, 30 zone speedo says 42 so 10% less for easy math means I'm around 37-38. Better slow down a little. I'd much rather look down and see exactly not approximately.

I'm not a fast rider by any means so I tended to go below the speed limit before the install. This should speed me up. :)

As a side note, the Harleys are all right on with their speedos. Wonder why the metric manufacturers aren't. Maybe they want to say their bikes are faster than Harleys. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Interesting. I wonder how fast I was really going when I was young and dumb on my YZF600. The speedo said 140mph, guess it was probably less. I just lost some cool points. ; (

·
Super Moderator
6,771 Posts
You didn't lose any cool points Mystar1100. You survived being young and dumb like we've all been at times, so you're just as cool as always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts

After checking with my Garmin GPS (x2) I mounted the cell phone with a speedo app, just for that purpose of instant answer, no calculating if your a bit too fast at that speed zone change radar trap.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Still havent checked my VS650, dont have a good way to attach GPS to the bike.

Just for reference a GPS unit is very accurate on speed, but can be sloppy on the ODO function. Its a bit technical to explain, but the odo is obtained from the speed, by integrating the speed over time to create a running accumulation of distance.

The Odo on the bike is counting the revolutions of the wheel to get distance, and its more precise (consistent but not necessarily accurate). The best way to check the odo on your bike is to get out on the highway, and ride ten miles watching the mile markers. They are very accurately located by the surveyors when they put the road down (they get paid by the foot).

Im wondering if motorcycle tires have more variation from one manufacturer to the next, and if the circumference changes much with speed? I know the OEM Bridgestone tires for the VS650 are heavier than the Dunlops, and the Bridgestone tires have a much more stable feel because of their weight.

I guess the bottom line is if you really want to know your speed down to 1% accuracy you gotta have GPS on your bike.

And speaking of speeding tickets, one of my earliest childhood memories was riding with my Aunt in her car back around 1961. Buffalo police had just gotten their wonderful new radar guns, and stopped my Aunt for speeding. She was going 31mph in a 30mph zone, and they gave her a ticket. She was livid.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts