Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, the title pretty well speaks for itself...

when the speedo says 60, im only doing 55. when the speedo says 40, im only doing 38 (according to the signs they put on the sides of the road). the question I have here is this: how can I fix this? the tire is the proper size (I thought that it may be a smaller circumference which would make the speedo off etc, but it is the correct size) since its all electronic etc, I have no clue how to fix the speedo... any ideas?

·
Registered
570 Posts
That's normal for many motorcycles.

I've always heard good thing about SpeedoHealers. According to their website they have a setup that works with the 1100s...Kind of pricey, at least $120, but those 2-5 mph may be worth it to you :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think im willing to put over 100 bucks into that issue... not when I know its off pretty consistantly

·
Registered
45 Posts
I make a mental note of the difference, and compensate accordingly, or rely on my GPS. I will only break that out when I am hopelessly lost or absolutely need to be on time going to a new location.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
after checking them out, I think i'll just stick with remembering that it's off by 5 mph. I usually run about 5 over anyway, so no big deal either way. I like the thought of the new speedo face, but not thrilled with actually installing it lol

·
Registered
265 Posts
Turns out this is pretty common with the 950 series. My 2013 is off by 10% and so is my buddy's 2011. Sure you can compensate for it but what bothers me the most is it's adding miles to the odometer that the bike isn't travelling. And yes, I've checked this against other bikes to verify.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2009 950T is about 5 MPH lower at 55 MPH radar. So does that mean that I am clocking less miles???
I just take it as s comfort zone when I am doing about 5 MPH over the posted I am actually spot on. (;-)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
First thing I would do is take it somewhere and have it calibrated. You need to know exactly where it is before you go making changes and adjustments.

·
Registered
318 Posts
A few years ago I did a comparison between my bike's speedometer and my GPS. I found that the error was progressive. With the following being GPS speeds: At 30 mph the bike showed less than 1 mph high. At 45 it was slightly over one mph high. At 55 mph it was 2 mph high. At 65 it was 3 mph high and at 75 it was four mph high. I just mentally take it as a margin for keeping myself out of trouble with the law.

For what it's worth, the speedometers in my pickup, car and motorhome also read slightly higher than my GPS speed.

I've validated these findings using several GPS receivers.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
That's why I suggested have it calibrated on a certified machine. Anything other than that you are just guessing and if you went to court over a ticket they aren't going to care anything about what your GPS showed. With the OP your speed is a tad slow so I wouldn't worry about it. I have heard that sometimes radars have a hard time reading bikes correctly so you may be dead on and the sign you were going by could have been misreading you.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Just curious . How do we know that the gps is at a correct speed? Maybe the gps is off and the speedo is ok.
Good question. That's why I tried it with several gps units. I also ran the test on a straight flat road in an attempt to control variables such as curve radius, satellite reception and terrain undulation. Now it could be that the signal is not reliable by design, but if so, it would be universal and not just specific to a particular motorcycle. My conclusion was that if I rode the bike at the posted speed limit according to the bike's speedometer, I would not have to be concerned about being fined for speeding, and I had a few mph as a cushion built into the bike's speedometer.

The suggestion to have it checked on a certified instrument would be wise for those simply wanting more precision, but I doubt that it would be worth much as a legal defense as speed limit enforcement instruments are routinely certified and are usually equipped to provide a record as evidence.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The suggestion to have it checked on a certified instrument would be wise for those simply wanting more precision, but I doubt that it would be worth much as a legal defense as speed limit enforcement instruments are routinely certified and are usually equipped to provide a record as evidence.
Here in VA if you get a speeding ticket, you can go have your speedo calibrated. If its off, for whatever reason, you can take that certification to court with you and possible have the charge reduced to improper equipment. Especially if you show receipt that you have had it repaired. This doesn't always happen that way but I know if you start telling the judge about what your GPS was reading and so on and so forth he is gonna charge you with whatever ticket the officer gave. Someone on this forum has it in their signature about "if we have facts, lets looks at facts..." That's all I'm saying. If you are dealing with a speedometer, unless you have it calibrated & certified, you are just guessing, not dealing with facts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This explains why some 20-something girl flew pass me and nearly drove my son and I off the road! I was driving 60kph in a 50kph zone...she was tailgating and we were on single lane road approaching double. I signalled my intent to move over to the right once we hit the double and she bolted to my right with her window down yelling at me...lol...crazies!

·
Registered
160 Posts
It bothers me

I know my speedo is off by about 10 percent and ride accordingly. Maybe I am ocd, but I think Yamaha should have done better. My odo is off also. When I travel 1 mile between stoplights, my odo shows 1.1. I don't know if it is that way to screw me out of 10% of my warranty or what. It also makes it harder to figure mpg.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I was under the impression that it was an intentional thing done by pretty much all motorcycle manufacturers... something to do with they know you are going to push the speed limit so if they have the speedo calibrated just a bit higher than actual speed their consumers won't get as many tickets... The other reason I've heard is that European standards for speedometer error require that the variance never be lower than the actual road speed so if they bump it up a bit they are covered. Basically, it doesn't matter what bike you own, the speedo is probably slightly off.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Just curious . How do we know that the gps is at a correct speed? Maybe the gps is off and the speedo is ok.
Good question. I have checked my car speedo with GPS and it is dead on.

·
Registered
845 Posts
so, the title pretty well speaks for itself...

when the speedo says 60, im only doing 55. when the speedo says 40, im only doing 38 (....
Sadly, I feel the error is on purpose. My 2008 and every Vstar 1300 to this day has the same error.
I honestly think many metric bike companies do this on purpose because we lack a sixth gear. I could be wrong but I do not think late model Harleys, Vic and Indian have the same issue.
Your mentioning 55. The speed limit where I live is 70, I have to have my 1300 speedo read 76 MPH to do 70. and to keep up with the flow of traffic I have to ALWAYS do at least 80 on the speedo which is only a true 73. Then if I want to pass a car, I have to bring it up to 85 to do a true 77.

I may get trashed by some in here, but please do not tell me a bike maker can not get the speedo right in this day and age. Its all an excuse. Why, because I have no sixth speed, doing a TRUE 77MPH (which means my speedo says 85MPH) my engine is turning 3,800 rpms and it feels like it to. By the bike maker lying to me and misleading me, if I believe my speedo when it reads 75, I would only be doing 69 and turning a slow 3,300 rpm

1 - 20 of 24 Posts