Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 V Star XVS1100AP
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all! Newly acquired 2002 V Star 1100 Classic, speedo, odometer, horn and turn signals stopped working. Runs fine. Other info:
  • All other electrical seems to be working, including lights, speedo backlight, oil and check engine lights (flash on startup);
  • 10A signal fuse keeps blowing;
  • Bike has aftermarket fog lamps installed;
  • Voltmeter is installed, reads 11.8 upon turning ignition key;
  • No loose connections immediately evident--even removed gas tank to look;
  • I'm new to bike maintenance and troubleshooting, and not particularly savvy re: electrical work
I've scoured the interweb and can't nail this. Any help would be awesome!

·
Registered
671 Posts
  • Voltmeter is installed, reads 11.8 upon turning ignition key;
I can't help you with the other things you mentioned but I can tell you that voltage for the battery is low. If you have a charger, hook it up. While charging, the voltage should be around 14.4 volts. You're making me strain my brain here, but I think the voltage should be around 12 - 12.5 volts when the bike is running.

·
Registered
2002 V Star XVS1100AP
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't help you with the other things you mentioned but I can tell you that voltage for the battery is low. If you have a charger, hook it up. While charging, the voltage should be around 14.4 volts. You're making me strain my brain here, but I think the voltage should be around 12 - 12.5 volts when the bike is running.
This is helpful—will do. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I am guessing you have a short somewhere if you keep blowing a fuse. Look for pinched wires...corrosion.. Remove both lamps. Install one and see if fuse blows..If not remove that one and install the other...if fuse blows on either one it may let you know which side is bad or you could have a relay going out. Do your running lights stay on before you turn the turn signals on?

·
Registered
2002 V Star XVS1100AP
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The running lamps do stay on. I simply get nothing from the turn signals, speedometer, or odometer. Or the neutral and turn signal indicators...

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Found this video. Hope it helps!

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,498 Posts
I would forget everything else until I figure out why that fuse is blowing. Start with a schematic that will show you everything that is powered from that fuse. It's almost always a pinched/cut wire. Rarely does an actual component overload a circuit.

On my own bike, I think there are a lot of places that Yamaha didn't do so great a job of protecting wires near sharp edges and pinch points. I have proactively added protection around the wires running to my front turn signals and auxilliary lamps. That's the kind of thing you want to look for.

·
Registered
2002 V Star XVS1100AP
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Outstanding advice. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
The white plug under the seat is for the speedo odo and turn and neutral swithch. You have to disconnect to remove the gas tank. I would chase those wires

·
Registered
2002 V Star XVS1100AP
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks--I'll give that a try too! I'm just learning how to use the multimeter to test connections, etc.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Ok, you have 2 x 10 amp fuses, one is for the signal lights and the horn, the other is for the ignition. I would check the wires to the kill switch and look for a short , also around the horn and signal lights.
Attached is a copy of the wiring diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 V Star XVS1100AP
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are the MAN! I'll be checking this out ASAP. Thank you so much!

Reactions: Jspree
1 - 12 of 12 Posts