Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my GPS it is obvious the speedometer is reading 5 to 6 mph high. Is there a screw to calibrate or a black box I can install to bring speed closer to being accurate?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
My 950 is the same way. It is about 10 % off. The dealer said I just need to live with it. Folks on this forum said it is the norm. It still bothers me. I now have almost 8k miles on it according to the odo. That means that it has only 7200 real miles. If I go to sell it, how do I explain that to a potential new buyer and have them believe me. I also think that I am getting shorted on warranty.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Odometer

I wonder if you ever checked the odometer with the mile posts on an Interstate to see if the odometer is off the same? Speedometer is a different movement even if they have the same source.

Nearly all speedometers are off two or three MPH at 60 MPH. Six MPH seems like a lot. But some of my buddies have had near that.

Dave

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
They are not necessarily tied together the mileage comes off of a hall effect sensor that sends pulses these are counted and a certain number of pulses yields a mile. The speed is a movement dependent on the resultant voltage from how close the pulses are together and this voltage drives the needle around. If this needle isn't calibrated correctly you get the situation where your mileage is right and your speed is indicated incorrectly.

·
Registered
778 Posts
They are not necessarily tied together the mileage comes off of a hall effect sensor that sends pulses these are counted and a certain number of pulses yields a mile. The speed is a movement dependent on the resultant voltage from how close the pulses are together and this voltage drives the needle around. If this needle isn't calibrated correctly you get the situation where your mileage is right and your speed is indicated incorrectly.
You know the Harley Davidson dealership claims they are the only one's with accurate speedometers.

·
Administrator
13,711 Posts
If I go to sell it, how do I explain that to a potential new buyer and have them believe me.
uh, don't. don't sell it and don't tell others that the speedo is off. it's not a defect on the bike and seems to be the norm across the industry. i have a 950 as well and actually like that my actual speed is lower so i'm not in as much danger of getting pulled over for speeding.

on a related note, i was averaging about 90mph (on the speedo) through Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama on my recent rode trip and passed numerous cops at or close to this speed and didn't get a single chaser. even at a discounted speed, i was still doing well over the speed limit. cops just don't tend to want to pull over cruisers i guess.

·
Registered
119 Posts
That would be an interesting thing to check... Need to get someone to test it with GPS and see if that is the case. It would also be interesting to see if and how the odo is effected if you install a speedohealer or the like.

I have a speedohealer on my R1 but I'm too lazy to do it :D

·
Registered
404 Posts
My speedometer reads high also (according to the handy-dandy "your speed is" signs through town), but I thought I checked my odometer once and it was pretty accurate. Around here most of our roads are straight north/south and east/west, separated by an even mile (which makes for some boring rides). Maybe I'll check again on the ride home from work today..

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Measured mile 60 mph time it should be 60 secs.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the odo and speedo working independent of each other. I will check odo for accuracy when we get warmer weather.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My 07 1300 is also off by 5mph. I run a Garmin and the speed is off by 5 mph pretty much anything over 15 mph. My odometer does register correctly when I compare it to mile markers.

I read on another forum where a 1300 owner took hus speedo needle off and moved it back the distance of 5 mph and now it reads right. I think I'll try that before I drop $150 on the speedo healer.

I gotta say though, after nearly 13,000 on the clock, the speedo error is the only thing I can find to gripe about!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Meter movement

Roxter,

Meter movements are pretty fragile, take a good look before you jump. Those instrument clusters are big bucks.

Dave

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks Dave...That's why I have not done it yet. I'm a bit nervous about messing with it!

This $70 unit is really interesting. A little more investigation here is in order, and perhaps that's the way to go.

Thanks!

Rick

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hmmmm... I think these would be good for gearing changes or tire changes, but if one works (odometer) and one doesn't (speedometer). Changing both? Won't that just reverse the problem?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hmmmm... I think these would be good for gearing changes or tire changes, but if one works (odometer) and one doesn't (speedometer). Changing both? Won't that just reverse the problem?
If we assume that the odo is actually correct (not sure that is the case) but the speedo is quite obviously "optimistic" and also work on the assumption (probably correct) that the odo and the speedo are reading off the same signal then the worst that would happen is that the odo would read lower than actual if we correct the speedo error with a "black box" of some sort - not a "bad" thing.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Unless you have to go so many miles and make a turn and it's not there. LOL I agree that's the only down side I see.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts