Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Spring fever

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  rmccutchan 
#1 ·
Well I've got a good dose of spring fever, so went and put the battery in the bike,big mistake. She started right up, but runs like crap and I mean crap. My 1100 has never ran like this. When I put her away for the winter full tank of gas and half bottle of seafoam. rough idle and rev it up it pops out the exhaust like gun fire. I've never work on the carbs myself, alway had someone else. I'm a little scared to mess with them, but guess it's time to give it a try. Any advice would be helpful.

Jack

#2 ·
Go slow and take your time, there are plenty of tutorials on here how to clean your carbs.

Its actually quite easy even for beginners, turn your fuel switch off, start the bike to run the fuel out of the lines, take the seat off, take the plastic part off under the seat, disconnect all wires. remove gas tank, remove air cleaner and all accompanying parts, remove carbs and find a work bench. Once your on the bench remove the 4 screws that hold each carb together (be careful not to strip these, find the right screw driver that fits properly) and just clean everything with a combination of carb cleaner, and compressed air. take the jets out and hold them up to the light, you will be able to see if there is any grime or dirt in there. If so you can use a sewing needle, or other device to scrape the dirt out while also utilizing compressed air and carb cleaner.

wash, rinse, repeat.

Good luck

#4 ·
I'm thinking, before you do too much, try fresh gas, clean plugs and filters. Condensation settles into everything. Just saying...

#5 · (Edited)
+1 on starting with simple and work your way up. I agree to start with fresh gas and a new new filter. Clean the plugs and make sure they are dry.

How much Seafoam did you use at storage? Is it possible the fuel was over treated? A full bottle treats about 20 gallons.

Edit - looked it up. 1 ounce of Seafoam to a gallon for 4 cycle gas treatment.

#7 ·
what is the temp of the air? It could be a little bit of everything, old gas, cold air temps, dirty plugs......

#8 ·
When I put it away for the winter in Oct I filled the tank and put about 20 miles on it after adding about half bottle of seafoam. Plug and oil has about 400 miles on them. The temp was about 45 degrees and I let it run for 20 to 25 minutes. My way of thinking it wouldn't hart to completely clean the carbs, but if I screw them up it's going to cost me some $350 to $400 to have the dealer rebuild them.

Jack

#9 ·
This doesn't help you now but for future reference what I do is put the safoam in the tank like you but then I start the bike up every other week and let it run for 10 minutes and shift through the gears.

This is crucial because even after three weeks of sitting once, the clutch seized up and when I put it in first the bike wanted to go even with the clutch depressed. It obviously broke free after that but i couldn't imagine how this would be if I left the bike sit all winter.

#11 ·
I was saying the the colder the air the more dense it is, which in turn will throw off your jetting. So maybe don't do anything until it warms up a bit to 60/65 and then see how it runs. I bet it will be better.

#13 ·
#14 ·
update

The temp up to 55 today, so took the bike out for a short ride, after about 10 miles she smoothed out and seems to be running good.
I'm not going to pull the carbs and clean, but going to adjust the idle as it seems to idle a little low and sync them. I also notice that there is a exhaust leak at the crusher washer on the front cyl, so going to replace it. Will go ahead and change oil there, is only about 400 miles on last oil change.

Jack

#15 ·
Way, way, WAY too much sea foam. One of the biggest ingredients in sea foam is alcohol, and alcohol absorbs water, so it is counter effective at that quantity. I only use sea foam for a carb that is having a problem because it is a harsh cleaner, and never more than recommended. I have a half dozen engines (mowers, etc) that sit all winter, and my snow blower usually sits for 10 or 11 months. I use Stabil religiously and never have a problem. Get the old gas out and get some new stuff in. The ethanol in gasoline will do a good job of cleaning too, so it may clean itself out?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.