Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dropped my rear suspension. now it seems to bottom out very easy. what springs do you guys run on bikes you have lowered? just the OEM? cranking up the adjustment to tighter work for you?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Keep in mind that suspension travel on an 1100 is just 4.5". If you do a 2" drop, you only have 2.5" of travel. Now add the rider and that number becomes less... add bags less still ... the heavier the load the worse the ride. Those are the compromises you are dealing with. That is not a lot of travel.

You can definitely try turning up the setting. That is always the first adjustment. However......

The spring isn't the only issue...it can help some but the real issue is usually the shock. I went with a Progressive 465 and feel it was one of the best things I ever did to my bike. Even when I had my bike lowered, there was never a bottoming out issue and the handling is more like a sport bike. The stock shocks are pretty much toast after 25-30,000 miles and can't even get close to comparing to the 465.

You can put a beefier spring on and it may keep you from bottoming out.....but if the shock is worn you'll never get the handling back...or never know how good the handling can be. A Road Star spring is rated a couple hundred pounds heavier than the 1100 spring and some have swapped for those or a Progressive spring. It's less expensive, but...most feel it's just a band aid for the real issue and you'll most likely still need to buy a shock at some point as well.

I can tell you from my experience that there is no comparison in ride and handling between a bike with a heavier spring and bike with a 465.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Ya, listen to Mick on this one, lol. My rear shock was toast at 20k miles. Bought a new heavier spring and swapped it out with the factory one. While it does help a little, it really is just a band-aid.

You'll be much happier, even spending the extra money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts