Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Stabil work and does work rather well but good gravy does that stuff make your exhaust real fumey to a point it almost makes you gag.
I guess the trade off is stinky exhaust for a thankful or gummed up carbs right?

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Ive never heard that before - are you sure you put in the right amount?

Never noticed any smell or smoke with Seafoam.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I use it in all of my small motors and outboards but not my bike, although I would not hesitate to use it if my bike was to sit up a month or more without running. I have never noticed and odd smell.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I used to need to run a fuel treatment every 5-6 weeks to keep my bikes running smooth, then I stopped buying cheap gas and only fill up at Chevron, Shell, Exxon or 76 - but mostly Chevron - and 2 years later I have not needed to add any fuel treatment to either bike once.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
sorta on the same subject, I filled my bike with premium last time and put seafoam in the tank, because I dont know when the snow will set in and that will be my last ride.

I have noticed the bike feels a bit sluggish running on premium. I have heard this before on carbed bikes, premium has less energy than regular gas per ounce.

The point where I notice it is when I shift up. When I shift it always feels like Im giving the bike a little kick right before I pull the clutch in, like Im handing the engine over from one gear to the next - like tossing the rpms over... This last week running on premium it doesnt quite have that same delightful kick/toss feeling.

I thought it might be the sea foam, but I cant believe that 4 ounces of anything in 4 gallons of gas could make the bike feel different.

·
Registered
909 Posts
The 650's motor has a low compression ratio of 9:1 and modest ignition timing so 87 works fine for me even during the summer. I just make sure it's from a reputable high volume fuel station. Higher octane fuels are only effective in high(er) performance motors that can suffer from fuel pre-ignition.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I thought it would be better to have the tank full of non-ethanol fuel when stored for the winter, and the only option I have seen in my area is premium from Sunoco, or Kwik Fill, but that is about 5 miles out of my way.

When I fill it again Im just going to use regular gas - have not had a problem with 10% ethanol so far using Seafoam over the winter.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My tank is full of 87 octane ethanol free gas. I usually put 2 ounces in a full tank.
Weather did start to get colder.
Hopefully it will be a warmer and short winter.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought it would be better to have the tank full of non-ethanol fuel when stored for the winter, and the only option I have seen in my area is premium from Sunoco, or Kwik Fill, but that is about 5 miles out of my way.

When I fill it again Im just going to use regular gas - have not had a problem with 10% ethanol so far using Seafoam over the winter.
Where do you live and what's your elevation?

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Where do you live and what's your elevation?
upstate NY, 300 feet above sea level.

I know the bike does not need premium, and the jets are picked at the factory for regular gas - so I expected the premium might give a bit lower mpgs for this one tank - but I was surprised I could feel the difference in the throttle.

If it was a fuel injected motor the MCU would correct for it - but the 650 has carbs.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I would suffer and deal with the higher octane fuel for a tankful to prevent ethanol related problems.
I bet you felt a difference. I did the same thing when I bought my 650 bit ran out the gas and put 87 in. It was more responsive.

·
Registered
609 Posts
1) Never noticed a funny smell with sta-bil

2) There's a 'real gas' place about 9 miles away, but not on a route I normally travel. I try to fill up there when I happen to be passing by, but never noticed much difference from the higher octane.

3) I normally a tank-full dosed with SeaFoam at the beginning of the season and another mid-way through - like July. Then Sta-bil when they get 'put away' for the winter. Never had a problem with either.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I notice it to be an extra exhausty smell. Maybe it's from ethanol free gas and no ais system?
Does the 650 stock exhaust have a catalytic converter?

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
yeah they do - dont know what year they started putting them in the muffler on the 650 - 2002 maybe?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts