Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's only happened 3 times, but my bike has stalled during a slow down while coming to a stop. I have 3300 miles on the bike and it just started to happen and it only seems to happen with it's cold out below 60. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Stalling

Bullisok,

There is a stalling problem. Not sure, I believe it is mostly with early Liners. Maybe 06 and 07, but not sure it may be all. I have heard it talked about on early models mostly.

I have an 06, it has never stalled unless I did something wrong. I have heard the engine slow down to the point I thought it might stall, but it did not. In a nut shell there is no idle adjustment. The idle speed is controled electronicly using an idle by pass. One theory is if you let off on the throttle but the clutch is holding engine speed above idle the controler tries to slow the engine. You pull in the clutch, it dies.

I don't do much engine braking. Maybe that is why I have never had the problem. By the time my speed gets down to near idle I have pulled in the clutch and am using the front and rear brake.

Check your clutch switch. If it is not working the problem will be frequent. Here is a link to a article and a possible cure. I know of a couple that it did not work but worth a try.

http://www.fxstein.com/blog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=47&blogId=1

Dave

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info and read... It has only happened a couple times as I said. It was in cold weather... You might be right I might be leaving the clutch engaged and coming to too much of a slow down and then pulling the clutch... I will have to pay more attention and see the next time it happens....

·
Registered
67 Posts
There is a lot about this problem on other forums and it seems to be pointing to an ECU problem. Now I'm just guessing, but maybe the EFI system goes into open loop condition below a certain rpm. You know, if its not getting information from the O2 sensor, then it has to use old information. I'm no expert and it would be nice to here from one about this. It would also explain why the FXstien mod would work.

·
Registered
396 Posts
what ive read

There is a lot about this problem on other forums and it seems to be pointing to an ECU problem. Now I'm just guessing, but maybe the EFI system goes into open loop condition below a certain rpm. You know, if its not getting information from the O2 sensor, then it has to use old information. I'm no expert and it would be nice to here from one about this. It would also explain why the FXstien mod would work.
i read somewhere that if you have the throttle open slightly so the motor is below 1500 rpm that the computer see's this as the idle is to high and it cuts the throttle more in an effort to reduce the idle speed. when you let off the throttle the rest of the way the ecu can't react quickly enough and the bike will die. i did this as a test and my bike died. i try to make sure the throttle is all the way closed when coming to a stop. so far so good.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I had this happen once, spent the next hour trying to get it to repeat. Never got it to do it again. I don't think the air temperature is a factor as it seems to happen during hot, medium and cold temperatures. It was just about 80 degrees when mine went flat line on me. I've read where this has happened with very high teperatures and just recently during cold weather.

·
Registered
67 Posts
HTML:
i read somewhere that if you have the throttle open slightly so the motor is below 1500 rpm that the computer see's this as the idle is to high and it cuts the throttle more in an effort to reduce the idle speed. when you let off the throttle the rest of the way the ecu can't react quickly enough and the bike will die
That sounds interesting. I'll try it on my bike.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well this is an Issue with my Bike does not do it all the time. During Slow down. I'm sure it is a Low idol issue. Someone told me there is a way to bump it up slightly to stop it. Looking for the answer on here.. If someone has the link please send it to me.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Well this is an Issue with my Bike does not do it all the time. During Slow down. I'm sure it is a Low idol issue. Someone told me there is a way to bump it up slightly to stop it. Looking for the answer on here.. If someone has the link please send it to me.
Had this happened more than the one time since owning mine, I'd have looked into it deeper. The Warrior was an easy finger knob to bump up the idle RPM's but the Liner's are a bit more complicated. I'll see if I can find it again and post the link...it involved getting the ECU to "learn" a new idle RPM,,,,"tricking" it seems like a better word than "learning".

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Yep, that's the one I remember. This guy fxstein knows his stuff. If I had the problem I would follow his advice and instructions.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would guess it's the ecu programming. I've driven mine a few thousand miles really hot weather to really cold weather and never had a problem with the PCIII on my 06.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I don't do much engine braking. Maybe that is why I have never had the problem. By the time my speed gets down to near idle I have pulled in the clutch and am using the front and rear brake.

Dave
I realize this is an older post but, it brings up some comments from me.

I engine break a lot. If I am coming up to a stop at 55 mph for example, I'll leave it in 4th or 5th and hands off throttle and clutch and let it drift down a good bit, dump down a gear or two and then pull the clutch in at, I guess, 5-10 mph and start throttle blipping.

My '08 only stalls when the clutch is pulled in, no throttle. Happens once in awhile. I just let the clutch out a touch and fires it right back up.

So, for me, engine breaking keeps away any stall and I am also wondering if you fellow Strat folks out there preserve your rubber by less engine braking than I do??? 3,500 miles and my rear is DONE.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
89 Posts
My Strat is an 09 and it has never stalled on me. Well there was this one time I let off the clutch at a redlight when I thought it was in neutral...but I digress...I do engine break a lot and I mean a LOT. There have been a few times I thought it was going to stall, but it kicked the RPMs back up, just in the knick of time. I am not sure if it is the downshifting that helps, or if its because mine is a newer model but I can happily say that this is one problem that I have not experienced yet. Yes, I think it puts some extra wear on my back tire, but if it wasent the rear tire, it would be the front, so whats the difference, right? I gotta slow this beast down somehow and I like the roar of the engine as I go through the gears.
I just thought I would throw my 2 cents worth in, in the hopes that the information could be useful and possibly help someone.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Slow Down to Stall

Happened to my 2006 Stratoliner S one time as I was slowing down to take a curb. I pulled to the side of the road and restarted the bike. I had about 20,000 miles on it then. It has not happened again; I had a custom map done on my Power Commander II by a Dyno team at WV's Mountainfest in 2008 and I now have over 50,000 miles on the bike.:D

·
Registered
90 Posts
I downshift a lot and use engine braking and so far have 9K miles on my rear Bridgestone Exedra Max. I think it can go for another 1K at least. Then I'll be trying out the new Michelin Commander II.

As for the engine stalling, Yamaha knows of this problem and they have a bulletin on this so they will fix this for you for free. I'm too lazy and paranoid (bring it in for one problem and get two problems back ;)) to let them touch my bike so I did this myself. Their recommendation is when doing the throttle body sync is to do a minimum of 2 full turns out for the air screw. The other air screw would have to be at least 2 turns or more. I tried this myself since I was experiencing some stalling when slowing to a stop or when cruising in first gear and coming to a stop. After doing this adjustment, I did notice an improvement but was still happening. I noticed though that the engine was running more lean too when increasing the air screws. So I compromised and have my air screws set at a minimum of 1.5 turns. I think it took a while for my ECU to adjust to the new air screw settings as I haven't had a stall since. I have an '07 Strat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts