Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - New to the forum; but, have been riding my 1999 Road Star Silverado since 2000. Rain has finally stopped here in Oregon and I got the bike out for the summer. Started-up fine and warned-up well. But, when I dropped it into first gear it just stalled-out. Could this be a battery problem, even though it went through the engine start-up fine? Tried it with the choke both open and closed and had the same results. It's a mystery to me. OregonRob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks tomstj, good reminder -- after a year or more, I may have forgotten that requirement, since I was on my driveway I could have done that. I'll check it again.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Also keep in mind the oil bath clutches on motorcycles tend to hydro-lock when sitting for a while, even just overnight.

It takes a bit of a kick to 'break' the clutch loose, esp when the bike has been sitting for years.

If you start the bike in neutral and it lurches when you shift into first, with the clutch pulled in tight, thats what its doing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If it's cold in the morning mine will almost drive off when you start it, clutch handle fully squeezed. So it's best for me to rock it into neutral before I hit the start button. After that it works just fine.

Sent from my N9519 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
For those with the cold oil lurch forward symptoms you could try 5w50 synthetic oil. 5w40 synthetic up here in the Canadian North at spring/fall time.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Thanks for all the good info. tomstj was right, I had the kickstand down. It's hard getting old and forgetting things like this, over the winter.
was just explaining to a new rider in another thread, the very first thing they teach you in the MSF riders course is: when you get on your bike, sit down then put the kickstand up and use your feet to support the bike

and when you get off first put the kick stand down and put the weight on the stand.

Do this always, so its second nature, like putting your seat belt on in your car.

that way, no matter what bike you ride, you will never take off with the kickstand down and kill yourself on the first left turn

and you will never get off the bike and drop it, because you left it up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts