Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help please! Switching from the FZ6R to a crusier and with all the amazing knowledge in this forum, I desperately need some direction in my decision. Air cooled, liquid cooled, shaft vs belt, fuel injected, etc., I commute daily, highway and city, need the luggage and my wife says she would like for us to ride together on some rode trips. I'm 5'8 and 175lbs., I would like some feed back on the pros and cons of the 1100 vs 1300. The 1100 is the classic work horse and the 1300 offers something new. Need some experience and wisdom on my decision.

·
Registered
18 Posts
had both bikes 04 1100 was great bike but love 07 1300 with upgrades, has tons of power, belt drive is so smooth. 1100 seemed to top out on highway @ 75 but 1300 has great top end. i average @52 mpg. my bike has air intake with kn filter, cobra efi2000, 3" hard chrome long shots.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pacman63, I'm a fellow Texan here in "Aggie Land". Looking at a 2009 V-Star 1300 Tourer ,stock. How is the seat in extended miles? It seems like such a large bike to what I am used to so how is it in city driving? The chrome long shots sound like a good idea. What about engine guards? Thanks again!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Seat Is A Little Hard At First,put 3000 Miles On First Week Of August, Trip To Grand Canyon And Old Route 66 No Problem. With Saddle Bag Engine Guard Would Look Good, No Saddlebags On My Bike More Of Custom Bike Look, Have A/m Chrome Wheels Did Not Want To Cover Up, RR PILLOW PAD LITTLE BIGGER ON 1300 THAN 1100 WIFE LIKES BETTER FOR LONGER RIDES

·
Registered
208 Posts
I recently had the same problem, and I went with the 1100. The 1300 just seemed to be 'wide' I just wasn't as comfortable on the 1300 as I was on the 1100. I'll agree the 1100 tops out at 75, while the 1300 still has more to go. But for me, it was more about being comfortable one the bike. Either way, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
51 Posts
1100 tops out at 75? My little V 650 tops out at close to 95, which I'm sure is somewhere between 85 and 90 in reality.

The 1100 is a nice machine and would need an oil filter relocation kit on it if I was to buy one. Yamaha has, however, dropped the 1100 from it's line up so it's either a 950 or 1300.I would go 950 for myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will assure you the 1100 does not top out at 75. It will cruise all day in the 80s and it will hit low triple digits. Granted it's not an FJR but 75, come now......

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have an 07 1100 custom and i loose my nerve at 125! just long shot exhaust kn filter and stage 2 jet kit from dynojet. im pretty happy with the changes

·
Registered
2 Posts
I looked at all three ( 950,1100,1300) a couple months ago. I felt with the 950 I was shifting all the time. I liked the 1100 but just couldn't pull the trigger on a discontinued model. Something wrong with buying a bike they would no longer sell. I bought the 1300 with the tourer package. I have put 450 miles in a day and its like setting in a comfortable chair. I Love the bike! It seems the natural progression is to upgrade the exhaust and intake and as soon as the one year factory warranty is up I will put on a Vance and Hines 2 into 1 and a air cleaner.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Upgraging Intake And Exhaust Does Not Affect Warrenty I Think, I Brought My Bike From Dealer With Upgrades To Date On Warrenty Problem Have Arose.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'll also add the 1100 in no way tops out at 75. Heck, I can do 75 with little more than 1/4 throttle. Fastest I've been is 85 around 1/2 throttle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, I've done 85 commuting on route 80 and my 1100 Classic felt like it had more. I didn't though, I felt like I was about to get blown off the seat!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
1100 & 1300 v star

I put 1100 and 1300 rather than verses 1300 because they have their points. The 1300 is part of Yamaha's new line. Lower balance fuel injected and a little different look. Water cooled and belt drive.

The 1100 is the more traditional look. Been out for a while, lots of accessories for it. I'm sure by toping out at 75 what was meant was that easy feeling starts to go away. I rode down I 95 on one from Virginia to Florida. Seemed the traffic was doing 80 so I did too. To pass the big trucks I did 90 and 95. No trouble, but vibration was starting to show up in the mirrors. But the bike could still easily accelerate to 90 from 80 heavly loaded.

The 1300 belt drive, more counter balancing in motor, water cooled, slightly bigger engine, fuel injected, aluminum frame, lower balance. The 1300 was so nice I went with a Stratoliner.

Its all in what you want. You will be happy with either, maybe any.

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts