Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this being my first Yamaha after owning Kawasaki's and Honda's and one Suzuki after 30 years I have found a couple things concerning or perhaps annoying. 1 , clutch chatter, stopped in neutral with clutch out it rattles, is this normal? 2 the way the tank is made even with the windshield and lower fairings the air comes right around and up, blows my shirt up and rattles my glasses. My 1500 Vulcan did the same. 3 the touring bags are smaller than I thought, suggestions on aftermarket lockable that will clear the exhaust? Other than that I love this thing, plenty of power with good looks and smooth as as a bb on the road.

·
Super Moderator
4,637 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I found some lower deflectors on ebay(not sure what brand) and it made all difference with my ride on the highway. I was with a group last week and hit 90+ and keep on glasses where they belong.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you have the 2007 you will get the clutch rattle when in neutral. There is a fix for it but it is expensive. I was thinking if I keep my 2007 long enough to need a clutch change I will fix it.

·
Super Moderator
4,637 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm sure some1300 owners will chime in
I put lower deflectors on my 1300 Tour, and it transformed the bike. Went from “beat me to death” to Smooth and comfortable, no buffeting at all.

Even with the windshield off in summer, the lowers smoothed the airflow and made for an easier ride.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Did you buy a used bike with a windshield, or did you get a new/old stock bike and they put the windshield on for you?

A windshield needs to be the right size for the rider, if you want to be able to just look over the top edge then it needs to be about the height of your nose.

If you got a used bike the chances of the windshield being the right height for you is hit and miss.

Also it needs to be adjusted, some can slide up or down a bit, and most can be tilted forwards or back, to address head buffeting (feeling like your helmet is in a paint can shaker to the point where your eyeballs are wiggling like jello, and you cannot read road signs).

Read the threads on head buffeting and windshield adjustments, with the warning that what works for one person on their bike might not work for you - its very much a trail and error process, and make adjustments in small steps.

If you give it a shot and nothing seems right, then look into getting fork deflectors (aka lowers). They will effective extend the windshield almost down to the front axle, and get the air flowing up and over your helmet, hopefully throwing it over your head far enough that the break from laminar flow coming off the shield to turbulent chaotic air happens behind your helmet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought a used bike but it's a Tourer with the factory 23' windshield. The air around my helmet is fine , its the air coming off the back of the tank, past the eng and straight up into my face at an upward angle that bothers the heck out of me. If I keep my knees tucked to the tank it goes away but that is uncomfortable for me as I am a little duck footed to begin with. I'm gonna try the lower fork deflectors and have the windshield cut to 19 inches and see what that does.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
[QUOTE 2 the way the tank is made even with the windshield and lower fairings the air comes right around and up, blows my shirt up and rattles my glasses. My 1500 Vulcan did the same.

My 1800 VTX would do the same thing damn near knock my glasses off. It was defiantly from around the tank. I just rolled up my sleves and toughed it out. Probably didn't hurt the puffing out of my chest.
hehehe

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
23" windshield, that has to be sucking the life out of the motorbike

my windshields stay in the garage, unless its cold, or raining, or Im only riding on the interstate at 75mph

1 - 12 of 12 Posts