Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
700 miles on my new 950 and I am loveing it.
The fuel mileage is higher than I was expecting it to be.
I get 200 to 204 miles before the fuel light comes on.
That figures up 56 mpg when I used 3.53 gallons,
and 60 mpg when I used 3.39 gallons.
I wonder why Yamaha estimated 47 mpg ?
Any one else get that kind of mileage ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
700 miles on my new 950 and I am loveing it.
The fuel mileage is higher than I was expecting it to be.
I get 200 to 204 miles before the fuel light comes on.
That figures up 56 mpg when I used 3.53 gallons,
and 60 mpg when I used 3.39 gallons.
I wonder why Yamaha estimated 47 mpg ?
Any one else get that kind of mileage ?
It seems that Yami/star, have a good habit of being on the more conservative side meaning that they tend to go under the MPG

example VS1300 says 42, many people get 45ish
VS650 says 49, I get around 50.

Its a good thing you know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems that Yami/star, have a good habit of being on the more conservative side meaning that they tend to go under the MPG

example VS1300 says 42, many people get 45ish
VS650 says 49, I get around 50.

Its a good thing you know.
I am not complaining but how does a 950 get higher miliage than a 650?

I filled up again yesterday 57.85 MPG.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am not complaining but how does a 950 get higher miliage than a 650?

I filled up again yesterday 57.85 MPG.
4 valves (950) per cylinder vs 2 (650), means that the bike does not need as much fuel since it can breath easier.
FI (950) vs Carburettor (650), gives a much more accurate dose of fuel.
and finality the Belt drive is about 2-3% loss compared to the shafts roughly 6-7% loss of energy.

in short, more energy/ pull with less gas.

Also since the 950 can carry weight better it doesn't need to rev into higher RPM's as often as the 650, which I have to almost fly apart to carry my 300 lbs frame 70+ mph.

·
Registered
9 Posts
With my 950 Tourer I got 45mpg on my first tank, didn't think too bad being brand new. 2nd tank got just shy of 50mpg. Yeah, it's a good thing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This was my first tank full on my 950 today. The light went on about 169. I don't know how full the dealer filled it. Rode to 183, and it took, if I can remember right, about 3.6 to fill. I filled it up to the Vents
Does that sound about right. Did your mpg increase as you increase in miles
Thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
This was my first tank full on my 950 today. The light went on about 169. I don't know how full the dealer filled it. Rode to 183, and it took, if I can remember right, about 3.6 to fill. I filled it up to the Vents
Does that sound about right. Did your mpg increase as you increase in miles
Thanks
Doesn't sound right. Based on the numbers that you gave us you averaged 61 miles per gallon. I don't think that you'll get much more than 55 mpg with this bike, that's about what I average with my 950.I have 545 miles on mine and I'm not hard on the throttle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I broke it in around town since it is winter and too cold to run fast for long. I have over 1500 miles now and average about 54 mpg. Not many replies.

·
Administrator
15,486 Posts
got about 650 miles on mine, and my light routinely comes on around 160 miles, and i fill to the vents as well. i weight about 240 lbs and hit at least 70mph every day since i take a highway to work.

if you're getting 60mpg, i'm guessing you're lighter and don't open up the throttle very much yet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have almost 1000 miles of city riding on my 950 and it gets an average of 44 mpg. A LOT better than the 12 mpg my '96 Explorer gets! :) Out on a country road, I'm betting that I get up into the mid 50's if not more like everyone else.

·
Administrator
15,486 Posts
anyone else got a windshield? i'm guessing that may have something to do with my lower MPG than everyone else. if i hit 70 without a windshield it feels like i'm riding through a hurricane so i gots ta have it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
anyone else got a windshield? i'm guessing that may have something to do with my lower MPG than everyone else. if i hit 70 without a windshield it feels like i'm riding through a hurricane so i gots ta have it.
Good point. I don't have a fairing or windshield yet. However, I have plans to turn the bike into an "as-needed" tourer so that my girlfriend and I can ride with her parents on trips without feeling the burden of not having enough space and comfort. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ride 60-75 mph back and forth to work. I have 750 miles on it and have been getting 48.6-49.3 miles per gallon. My light comes on at 160 miles or about that regularly. Today at 158.8 it came on. I fill to the hole the nozzle fits in about 3 inches down in the tank.
Sound about right? I really thought I'd get closer to 200 miles on a tank.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I ride 60-75 mph back and forth to work. I have 750 miles on it and have been getting 48.6-49.3 miles per gallon. My light comes on at 160 miles or about that regularly. Today at 158.8 it came on. I fill to the hole the nozzle fits in about 3 inches down in the tank.
Fill the tank to the bottom of the plate in the fill neck and you'll get 200 mile before the light comes on. I came back from a 265 mile ride today and averaged 54mpg and I fill my tank to the filler neck plate, sometimes a little above it. I have 1567 miles on odometer. Why do fill the tank 3" low?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The round flat plate is where I was meaning. It is about 2 inches into the tank I guess not 3, with the small holes around it. I might lug the engine more than I should or something. I'm just not getting that many miles before the light comes on.

·
Administrator
15,486 Posts
i get the same performance as you. if you think about it, when the fuel light comes on, you've got about 30 more miles before the tank is dry. puts you close to 200 miles, technically. for all those getting closer to 200 miles before your fuel lights comes on, i'm curious if you have windshields, your weight, how much you're hitting at least 60 MPH, how hard/soft you're riding your bike in general. i wouldn't say i ride my bike all that hard, but i do like to gun it a little more than others.

·
Registered
9 Posts
getting better than advertised mpg

I have been getting 59 mpg on my 950 tourer. It has been pretty consistent at each fueling. Most of my driving is on back country roads around 50-60 mph. I am of average weight and not carrying anything extra onboard.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Gas Milage

I've got the 950T with the windshield. Most of my riding is around town with 35 - 45 MPH. LOTS of traffic lights. I've had 46.5, 53 and 47 out of the respecive tank fulls. Get around 140 before the light comes on and it'll take between 3.1 and 3.25 to fill. The tank with 53 MPG had some highway miles on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm still getting 53-55 mph for the last 2000 miles, hard riding, freeway and backroads plus city stuff. Same milage since the exhaust mod, love the new sound!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
what mpg depends on how hard you ride too and also wind condition.

I got around 50 mpg at speed 70mph,
decrease to 47 mpg when I ride 75mph
if I ride harder, let's say 80mph or above then I'd get less than 45mpg

1 - 20 of 76 Posts