Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the dif between riding a VStar like mine and riding a Gold Wing? I've been riding about 4 years, but never anything bigger than a 750. I'll be vacationing in Florida and thinking about renting a Gold Wing or ElectraGlide to ride the countryside. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Definitely a big difference ridin g a big cruiser.......the Wings are super comfy and pretty easy to handle despite the size. The EG is also a fine bike, but a bit more cramped than the wing. Either would be a nice change of pace to ride....

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Ive always been impressed with gold wings.

A horizontally opposed boxer engine is the best possible configuration to balance out vibration
and they have always been extremely quiet and powerful bikes.

They are definitely optimized for highway cruising at speed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm not a Honda fan boy but nobody makes anything that can dethrone the modern Goldwing in it's class. It just outperforms in every aspect of a full dress touring bike.
Looks,style,image, those are the variables of personal opinion that can sway a buyer's decision away from best in class performance.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
If I would fault a modern GW for anything, the bike is almost too nice.

Its like a 2 wheel car, or a 4X sized scooter. There is a motorcycle under all that fairing somewhere, but its really hidden.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I'm not a Honda fan boy but nobody makes anything that can dethrone the modern Goldwing in it's class. It just outperforms in every aspect of a full dress touring bike.
Looks,style,image, those are the variables of personal opinion that can sway a buyer's decision away from best in class performance.
it's also the price of a down payment on a house..lol

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
why not a stratolounger?
Because that is nothing but a bigger version of what I have now. It does not come with ABS or cruise. The seat is the same uncomfortable seat that comes on all the Yamaha Cruisers, no trunk, so I would have to buy one.. I am not looking at a new Wing, hell no.. can't afford that.. I would get one that is well loved. I have always loved the Wing, I got the Yamaha for a first bike. I love my bike, don't get me wrong.. It just is not what I really wanted. It is an AWESOME bike. I might keep it and get a Wing for long distance.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
I might keep it and get a Wing for long distance.
there is definitely merit to having more than one MC in the garage.

I love my VS650 for the type of riding I do most of the time: commuting to work on single lane roads and riding secondary roads for day trips.
My bike is stock, no windshield, no saddle bags, and its perfect for riding up to about 60mph. I absolutely love a long asphalt road with no center line winding through the woods.

If I were to get on the interstate I would want something like a GW. When you ride twice as fast the force of the air blast hitting you increases by a factor of four.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 07 Roadliner S and a 2003 Gold Wing. I love both, but they are totally different experiences. I love the Wing on long trips and it is the only bike my wife will ride on the back of these days. I like the super luxury, but sometimes I want the wind in my face and loud pipes to listen to, that's when the Roadliner comes out. There are GREAT deals on the used GL1800's out there, I bought my '03 in 2015 for $8K. It only had 34K miles on it which is nothing for one of these. Life's short, buy that bike(s)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think it all depends on the type of riding you do. I loved my 650 for scooting around town and short commutes but realized I needed something larger when I got in a jam trying to pass a car on a two-lane road with my wife on the back. Moved up to an 1100 and it was great for two-up riding and great for short rides of 3-4 hours and maybe one longer trip per year but anything over that was brutal. It was really working by the time it got to 70mph. Long commutes or someone who does a lot of long trips/vacations on the bike the 1300 or larger (or a GW) would be the better choice. My 1300 will cruise at 80 all day long (albeit with a good bit of wind buffeting). Just my .02.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I test drove a used GW before I bought my Roadliner. The thing that stopped me from going with the Honda was the lack of room for my big feet. When I tried to down shift my foot would constantly hit the fairing. And this was in a pair of Chucks, not my usual steel toe boots.

·
Registered
509 Posts
In 2009 after a long trip on my Kawi Nomad, my wife decided we were going to get a "better" bike. We got a 08 Goldwing. I was going to keep my Nomad because I did not like the Wing. A year later I sold the Nomad after making myself put 600 miles on it that year. The Wing now has 109,000 miles and has been as solid as its reputation. It runs as good today as it did when it was new. I had a Nomad and my brother owns a HD Ultra, neither compares to the Wing for long distance. The Wing really shines during a multi week, multi thousand mile trips. The HD is comfortable but both the HD and Nomad suffer from the V-Twin. The V-Twin just cannot compare to the flat 6 for touring. I'm in the market for a new bike just because I want one and am hoping the new Yamaha touring will be a Wing competitor as Honda has not done anything with the Wing since 2001.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
I cant say much about what upgrades Honda has made to the GW bikes over the years

but sometimes that is a good thing.

I dont think Yamaha has changed anything significant on the VS 650 bikes in 12 years,

and they have been making some bikes, like the SR 400 / 500 since the late 1970s. If you look at the first one and the 2017 its the same bike. They switched to electronic ignition at some point, and are fuel injected now, but it still has a chain (instead of a belt or shaft).

In some aspects there really is an ideal design/configuration for a certain type of motorcycle, and once a company has hit it, there is nothing to improve on.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I cant say much about what upgrades Honda has made to the GW bikes over the years

but sometimes that is a good thing.

I dont think Yamaha has changed anything significant on the VS 650 bikes in 12 years,

and they have been making some bikes, like the SR 400 / 500 since the late 1970s. If you look at the first one and the 2017 its the same bike. They switched to electronic ignition at some point, and are fuel injected now, but it still has a chain (instead of a belt or shaft).

In some aspects there really is an ideal design/configuration for a certain type of motorcycle, and once a company has hit it, there is nothing to improve on.
Think about how the Japanese do things, they do not do huge changes on anything. They do a lot of small changes. Usually small enough you do not notice them from year to year, but IF you compare a 2000 wing to a 2015 wing you see a big difference.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Think about how the Japanese do things, they do not do huge changes on anything. They do a lot of small changes. Usually small enough you do not notice them from year to year, but IF you compare a 2000 wing to a 2015 wing you see a big difference.
In 2001 Honda went to the GL1800 from the GL1500, huge difference. Since 2001 Honda has added a NAVI model in 2006, in 2009 they added XM radio, in 2012 they changed the look of the saddlebags but the GL1800 has been basically the same bike since 2001.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
In 2001 Honda went to the GL1800 from the GL1500, huge difference. Since 2001 Honda has added a NAVI model in 2006, in 2009 they added XM radio, in 2012 they changed the look of the saddlebags but the GL1800 has been basically the same bike since 2001.
They had to go to a bigger motor to keep up with the other touring bikes. The Valkerie kept the 1500 motor until 2003. Adding XM and NAVI are small changes. They also added ABS, then the second gen added an airbag. Again all small changes. I am HOPING that the rumors for 2018 on the GW are true, that they are going to a Leading Link front suspension, which should make this bike damn near perfect. Or even BMWs Duolever front suspension.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
For a point of reference, a 1970 VW beetle had a 1500 cc motor and produced 47HP

My 2014 Ford Fusion has a 1500 cc motor and a turbo, at 181HP

1800 cc on an aerodynamic two passenger vehicle with 2 wheels should be able to cruise on the autobahn with no issues.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts