Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 Venture and last fall I had the carbs professionally rebuilt for way too much money. It ran well during what little time I had to ride it before winter and put her away in my garage after using Sta Bil in the fuel tank and hooking up a trickle charger.

The bike started right up in March and as it ran I walked around checking stuff. That's when I noticed a fuel leak coming out at the bottom of the engine.

I thought maybe it was some gum in a carb and ran Seafoam through it. But it still leaks. I put it back in the garage and since i have another bike I just rode that one. But I'd really like to ride the Venture too.

Do any of you have any ideas what could be causing the leak. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Most likely has a float stuck open in the carbs. Before running bike I would advise to check oil level. If floats are stuck open gas can leak down into cylinders. If gas is in oil do not crank as it may cause engine to hydro lock. Usually happen when bike has been sitting for a period of time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most likely has a float stuck open in the carbs. Before running bike I would advise to check oil level. If floats are stuck open gas can leak down into cylinders. If gas is in oil do not crank as it may cause engine to hydro lock. Usually happen when bike has been sitting for a period of time.
Thank you for the info to check the oil for gas. My thought for today was to start her up and whack the float bowl as she ran. Stay safe, ride safe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was it a stuck float. Did thIe "whack" work?
I'll never understand how stuff works. started her up and knelt down so I could watch for the leak. Knelt there for 15 minutes and no leak. It was raining so I didn't go for a ride but I'm going to look at it again today. It's been leaking every time I start it (two or three times a week) since March.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Not sure obout the eluder but most float overflow has a rubber tube to see it leaking from. Doe it not run well? If it is minor driving with seafoam should hopeful clean it out. I use seafoam as a stabilizer for winter. Like Cokerb said check oil for gas in it is a must

1 - 6 of 6 Posts