Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y’all! I’m a newbie rider, and have a question about starting the bike in first gear. I’m afraid of stalling at a light while in traffic, and having to go back into neutral to start the bike back up makes me very paranoid. My bike will not start while it’s in first gear, but I do know that other brands/bikes can start in first gear. Does anyone else have this issue? Are all yamaha’s and v stars like that, or is it just my bike? Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide!

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Something is not right with your bike

it should start in gear if you have the clutch pulled in and the kickstand up

sounds like some wires are crossed or shorted somewhere

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,474 Posts

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
when your bike was converted to a trike was the kickstand removed? - maybe the switch was left in the down position?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good Morning!

No, the kickstand wasn't removed when the bike was converted. The bike has never started in 1st since my dad purchased it in May. He just put the trike kit on this past week. I have shown him this thread, and he's going to look at the bike next time he's up here to see if he can figure out what is wrong with it exactly. Hopefully it's an easy fix.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Erica

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
sounds like the clutch switch is failed or not connected

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
^ the kick stand switch would also kill the engine while it was running, if you put the kick stand down with the engine running

the issues she is having is the bike will only start if the transmission is in neutral. Once its started she can shift into first and go.

Only the clutch switch will keep the bike from starting while in gear - you must pull in the clutch to start the bike when its in gear. Her bike wont start in first, kickstand or not.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’m a newbie rider, and have a question about starting the bike in first gear. I’m afraid of stalling at a light while in traffic, and having to go back into neutral to start the bike back up makes me very paranoid.
This is going to make me sound like a dick (not my intention) but bike problems aside IMO you shouldn't be riding if something as simple as gearing into N to start the bike has you paranoid. Sounds to me like a lot more practice time in an empty parking lot / quiet roads is in order. Changing gears, starting the bike is 101 stuff and if you aren't comfortable doing that you should not be out in traffic.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
... if something as simple as gearing into N to start the bike has you paranoid. Sounds to me like a lot more practice time ....
I disagree, I dont think you understand the problem.

I have been riding for 6 years now, over 30,000 miles on two vstar bikes.

I have trouble sometimes in the morning getting a bike into neutral. I always park the bike in 1st gear so it cant roll on the kickstand. Nudging the bike into neutral from 1st can be frustrating in my driveway

2nd...1st...2nd...1st DAM IT! roll the bike up just a bit...gently kick it up...neutral! roll the bike down the driveway backwards and turn it around, then start it up.

I would not want to ride a bike that will not start up in 1st gear, if you cannot hear over traffic and stall the engine as a light turns green, and then have to find neutral to get the starter to engage.

Once she gets the clutch switch problem fixed she will be fine on the road.

·
Registered
761 Posts
^ I have had that exact problem on my 950! It can be frustrating. I for sure would want to know why it will not start in first gear. I do the same as you with parking it in gear so it does not roll around without a pilot...Keep everybody posted Erica when the issue is fixed. Build some confidence with some parking lot time. Tension leads to mistakes.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Interesting question to me since I've never even tried to crank my ninefiddy in gear. Can't wait to see what happens.
A whole new world may open up for me today. (I'm easily amused.)

I'm pretty sure the bikes I had when young would crank anytime -- even with the clutch engaged. I vaguely remember stomping the crank on my kawasaki and having it try to walk out from under me. Am I remembering that wrong?

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
I dont think any vehicles had clutch-starter lockouts till the 1980s

I know none of my 12 aircooled VWs would lock out the starter if you did not press the clutch.

That was one of the great features of the cars - if the car would not start you could put it in gear and crank the starter, and the car would move forward or back for several feet.

and if the clutch cable broke you could still drive it, by stopping the engine at a red light, put it in first, crank the starter and it would start up in gear, then match the engine speed and shift without the clutch at about 10, 20, and 30mph.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I dont think you understand the problem.

I have trouble sometimes in the morning getting a bike into neutral.
Ah, I see. I thought she was describing a scenario where she was having difiiculty with the mechanics of shifting. Didn't know that 1-N was an issue on some Stars, my 650 doesn't have that problem.

On of my other bikes has a sensor in the clutch lever that doesn't allow the bike to be started without pulling the lever in (even in N). I cut the two wires and soldered them. I'd assume it's something similar on this bike and likely a quick fix.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok dude your bike should start in any of the 5 years as long as you have your clutch engaged and as far as stalling in first gear you'll get better in time with practice

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sounds like something between the neutral safety switch and the clutch safety switch is either malfunctioning, or maybe was wired this way.

I've been out of motorcycle repair for many years, so I'm not too familiar with much after 2005 - things may have changed there (I missed the year model of the bike). Would be very easy to have a machine not crank, or start, just by using the signal to the neutral light.

Suzuki motorcycles will not crank, even if the machine is in neutral, unless the clutch is pulled. Maybe they're all this way today, but back when I was working full time in a dealership, Suzuki was the odd ball.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is a post from back in 2009 by @06vstar. Same topic. Would not start in gear.
It was the small plug at the clutch lever. It was partially pulled out, but not far enough to be obvious.
Hope it helps!
This weekend I experienced this issue. Saturday morning, when I was getting ready to go for a ride I got a call about an issue with the email server at the office and had to stop by for about an hour to figure things out. When I parked the vstar she was on first gear, an hour later when I ready to leave for my ride, I released the kick stand, I knew she was on first gear so I pulled the clutch, then pushed the starter button, Nothing!!!. That's when I first noticed I was having this issue. This morning I went to my daughter's house for coffee, when I tried to start the bike on first gear, Nothing!!!. The bike only starts on Neutral, and sometimes it is a pain to find the Neutral on these bikes.
In my situation the issue is in the little switch at the clutch lever. When I want to start the bike on gear I have to wiggle that little switch and the bike will start right up. Seems like I will need to replace that cable assembly along with the left switch??? Looks like both switches, left main switch cable and the little clutch lever cable are in the same sleeve.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts