Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
would like to see an update on this one
Damn totally forgot I had started this thread. The bike has been stripped down and changed a few times since my first ride of the spring. I didnt like the first configuration of the seat. Looked awesome but felt like I was going to slide off the back when I took off. I got rid of the stock air box and intake and made a pod kit under the tank. Then rejetted the carb to increase the fuel mixture and bam! The power now is intoxicating and love the look. I am still not thrilled with the way the seat looks but it was my first go making one so I am actually looking forward to making another.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a blast making it and should have made it about 4" longer and curved the back up drastically. The seat was an awesome lesson in leatherworking and metal working though. The next one will be even better.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Making seats is a blast....I've done 3 and each has been a learning experience. The curve in the rear is necessary...but that "sliding off the seat" feeling is natural the first few times you ride on a spring seat. You do get used to it....and some formed padding helps keep your ass cheeks in place.

I did my last one using layers of different density 1/4" foam, custom fit to me.....did lots of test rides and have a damn comfy seat for the type now. Unfortunately here in AZ leather does not last...so I have to use vinyl. With no upholstery sewing machine I'm forced to farm the cover out.... the good thing is that vinyl is cheap and a case of good beer gets it made...

Old school tuck and roll.... came out pretty good.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
If the bike is lowered you may have that issue. I went with a Progressive 465 shock and that ended my bottoming out.

I'm also using these springs rather than the scissor springs I had on before and they really stiffen the seat up....less apt to hit and raised the seat another 1/2"...

Bare Knuckle Choppers Shop Site

I also bought a pan from these guys...super great to work with and super heavy duty. I think it was cheaper to just get it from them than to do it all myself...

Motorcycle Seat Pans, Bobber Seat Pans, Custom Seat Pans

I'm running a full fender now.....done with the bobber stuff. I prefer to have something a little different and everyone is riding bobbers these days it seems. Keeping the spring seat though..... Here's a pic from the fender mock up.....still doing the finish up work on paint, striping, wiring and etc.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hey Mick, lookin good there. Did you lower yer bike, or cut fender stays to get the tire that far into fender? I like it. May consider somethin like that my own self. And by the way, I see you have 16" apes on yer ride. Can you tell me how long yer brake hose is? I'm puttin them on mine when I get everything together to do it, but don't know how long brake line I need. I found the formula for the clutch, throttle and such, but nothing for the brake hose. Thanks. And sorry for high-jacking this thread, but couldn't get an answer on my own.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Bike is lowered a slight amount, but the fender is mounted to the swing arm so it'll stay that way no matter what the height of the bike.

I'm not home to measure my brake hose but if you remind me this weekend, I can do it. I'm only running one side....so your's would be different if you keep both brakes. I get all my stuff from Tim at Metric Magic. He can usually tell you how long you need....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bike looks great Mick. Handlebars are next for me but $$ an issue as always. The cost of the bars is nothing its the flipping cable kit to extend everything. Blacked out the motor yesterday and have to say so glad I did

Attachments

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Make it affordable by eliminating one throttle cable and the choke cable.. All you need is one throttle, clutch and brake hose. Call Tim at Metric Magic 575-671-0050. He usually has the in stock or can get them. they are top quality Barnett...not the cheap stuff. All you need to do is tell him what size bars and he'll do the rest.

For wires....just splicing and soldering which is a lot more time than expense.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If the bike is lowered you may have that issue. I went with a Progressive 465 shock and that ended my bottoming out.

I'm also using these springs rather than the scissor springs I had on before and they really stiffen the seat up....less apt to hit and raised the seat another 1/2"...

Bare Knuckle Choppers Shop Site

I also bought a pan from these guys...super great to work with and super heavy duty. I think it was cheaper to just get it from them than to do it all myself...

Motorcycle Seat Pans, Bobber Seat Pans, Custom Seat Pans

I'm running a full fender now.....done with the bobber stuff. I prefer to have something a little different and everyone is riding bobbers these days it seems. Keeping the spring seat though..... Here's a pic from the fender mock up.....still doing the finish up work on paint, striping, wiring and etc.

I like the full fender look better than the bobbed fender. I also though like a front fender on my bike.

You turned out a nice looking bike for sure.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I have a front fender going on too....just not quite there yet. The rear has taken a lot longer than I like. Far too much time working out of town...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts