Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you get frequently questions about the starter clutch and I have looked at all the answers but still need some help. Basically, I bought a non-running 2005 VStar 1100 and the PO indicated he had issues with the starter. I brought it home and realized that the starter relay was bad and replaced it with a brand new one (Yamaha). After replacing the relay, I tried to start the bike and I got the same symptoms described by others in the forum – the starter spins but it does not engage or turn the engine.
So, I carefully followed the instructions and recommendations to remove the flywheel taking care of the timing marks. Then I checked the starter clutch in the bench and it turns freely clockwise and engage counter clockwise. I also look at the damper assembly and it looks fine and engage with the starter gear, check starter bolts etc. My question is…Is there something else I should check before ordering the new redesign starter clutch kit? I don’t want to order the expensive kit and realize that is not the issue.
What throws me off is the fact that the starter clutch seems to be working fine as per the service manual recommendations. Should I take it apart? Any help is appreciated.

See video of the bench test done.

·
Registered
399 Posts
They do make a complete repair kit for those issues and I’ve heard that the cheaper kits are not a good fix for it. Nobody wants to do it twice. If you search for stater issues you will find the threads you will want to look at.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts