Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.just got another vstar1100(2006).i had a 2004(car hit me,totaled).on the 04 starter clutch went out(850.00) later.then the mid drive nut snaped off.and ppl told me might be better off getting another bike than fix it.(pull the engine,split the case,and you just cant replace one gear it comes as a set of 2. 2800.00)so i drilled and tapped a hole for a bolt and it worked,then cpl months later got hit.lol..so my question is...should i have these things checked out on the 06 bike,or if it aint broke dont fix it?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
As far as the starter clutch the reason they go bad is if you use the trottle while starting. Because the timing changes and it can fire the engine backward. I bought my Classic last spring with 33ooo miles on it no problems so far. I did have to replace the rectifier-voltage regulator.

·
2,726 Posts
I think they went to a different starter clutch design in later years (not sure which year but I believe you should be safe). Like Deeks said, never give it any throttle when starting and you shouldn't have an issue. As for the mid shaft nut, it should be staked from the factory on an 06 but it wouldn't hurt to take a look and make sure. It's a lot easier to do that than to fix it, as I'm sure you know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My son has a 2007 1100 V Star with what we believe to be a bad starter clutch. I'm the family mechanic so I took it apart. The starter one way assembly was pretty hard to get off. Once I got it off I cleaned it up and now it spins freely in one direct and not the other. Which is correct. My question will a replacement be a better design? Another question is where one way assy rides against the idler gear looks a little rough; should that be replaced also?
Thanks for any help I can get.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,891 Posts
The OEM starter clutch is a new design that fixes the issue.

Here's a good link:

After market kits are notorious for being lesser quality and fail quickly. Keep us informed on your results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The OEM starter clutch is a new design that fixes the issue.

View attachment 92535

Here's a good link:

After market kits are notorious for being lesser quality and fail quickly. Keep us informed on your results.
Thanks, that just what I thought. I'll get the parts ordered and get it put back together ASAP.
So far the best price I've found is Partzilla.com at $480.57 (Any better price out there?)

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,891 Posts
No sure on price, but I've ordered from Partzilla several times because they were cheapest on part I wanted and it was in-stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts