Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6 months ago I purchased a 2004 V Star 1100 with 4000 miles on the bike. I am not having any trouble with the bike and I use the recommended starting technique, i.e. no throttle and keep the start button pressed until the bike starts.

How likely is the starter clutch to fail and is it recommended to replace the starter clutch even though I haven't had any trouble with it?

Thanks,
LoupGarou

·
Registered
36 Posts
its a pain!!! ...
there known for it here in the maritimes. but that being said my bike has 93895 kilometers on it and i just had to do mine.

cost about 150 us for the kit i bought aftermarket that is better then the stock stuff. came with everything. i just did mine yesterday.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I guess I will let it go for now, I was just thinking that if failure of the starter clutch was inevitable it might be a good idea to go ahead and get it done.

LoupGarou

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
If you start it right, you will probably never have to replace it.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks SM, I was hoping this was the case.

Loup

·
Registered
61 Posts
its a pain!!! ...
there known for it here in the maritimes. but that being said my bike has 93895 kilometers on it and i just had to do mine.

cost about 150 us for the kit i bought aftermarket that is better then the stock stuff. came with everything. i just did mine yesterday.
So it looks like I have to replace mine....where did you get your kit? And why is it better than stock?

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
its a pain!!! ...

Where did you get the kit? I was quoted $800 bucks to replace mine, so I'd prefer to DIY.

Mine doesn't whir like others have mentioned, I just get a big CLUNK occasionally when trying to start it, which then stops and I hear everything start spinning again before it starts up. I was thinking it was the throttle position sensor, but I couldn't find it under the air filter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
OK - so what special tools are required? I appreciate all input.

I've got the kit from eBay and I'm a decent mech - just gotta deal with my old-man's tendonitis cramping my hands - may take me a while between cramps and icing - LOL.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
how much is the kit on ebay? normally it's like a 400+ kit but i found a dealer in New Jersey selling it for 250-ish a few years ago. i also found good instructions online how to do it. it did it with my buddy. it was probably the biggest mechanincal job i ever did, but it wasnt crazy to do

1 - 12 of 12 Posts