Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm going to ask a question I'm afraid I already know the answer to. Have a 2006 1100 Classic with 36,000+mi. Starter spins but doesn't turn the engine over. I've read that earlier models had problems with the one way clutch but Yamaha fixed it. According to my Clymers it has a one way clutch. I'm going to pull the starter today to see if it's damaged. Any chance from others experience that I just have a bad starter or is this almost always the clutch? Also, has anyone had any experience with the cheaper clutch kit from ideal engine parts? Moneys tight right now but I don't want to be tearing this down again in 6 months. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Unfortunately it's probably the starter clutch from your description. I've never changed mine.....but if it ever goes out I'm sticking to Yamaha parts. I have seen issues with the cheap imports...too many times for me to want to risk it. I can't see buying the same thing twice because I was trying to save a few bucks. Keep in mind that this is just my opinion....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think your right Sick Mick. I dug into some of the reviews and a lot of them say the parts didn't fit right and some said they failed quickly. So if it's between not riding and living on Top Ramon looks like I'll have to bite the bullet. JK it's not that bad, but if it was...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Farmalldanzil: Honestly, I didn't even know there was starting procedures until I started digging into these threads. I've been hard on the clutch more then once. Lesson learned

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
what is it with 1100s and the starter clutch. do these engines have a habit of kicking back or something which would crack the race on the one way bearing. also a lot of posts about cam timing messing up after changing one. i always mark every gear in a cam timing system whether it needed to be lined or not and never had a problem, i can't understand why 1100s are so tough to get the timing right.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I think your right Sick Mick. I dug into some of the reviews and a lot of them say the parts didn't fit right and some said they failed quickly. So if it's between not riding and living on Top Ramon looks like I'll have to bite the bullet. JK it's not that bad, but if it was...
it looks like the reinforced ones have larger rollers it sure looks stronger

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Even the latest OEM Yamaha parts wont over come bad starting practices.
Are your starting practices good ones?
exactly, never engage a starter when things are still moving sometimes the engine will stop for a second then roll back, if the starter engages on the roll back.. bang go's the one way bearing!!!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Many people try to start the 1100 by cranking the starter for 2-3 seconds and expect it to start every time...like an FI vehicle. Then when it doesn't start, they crank the throttle open which throws the timing out (TPS) and this can cause the motor to kick back and damage the starter clutch. This is compounded by repeated 2-3 second stabs on the starter...which only increases the odds of failure.

You start an 1100 by holding the start button down until it starts. No throttle....no letting up (within reason)

Even with a starter clutch replacement.....it's about the only semi-expensive thing to ever go wrong with these bikes...and 80%+ are self inflicted. A $400 repair bill in the life of a motorcycle isn't much at all..... Most other big name brands you'd be in far more than that.

It isn't all that hard to keep the timing straight....you just need to keep it straight, like you mentioned, as simple as marking things correctly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Even with a starter clutch replacement.....it's about the only semi-expensive thing to ever go wrong with these bikes...and 80%+ are self inflicted. A $400 repair bill in the life of a motorcycle isn't much at all..... Most other big name brands you'd be in far more than that.
I wish it was a $400 repair bill. 3 quotes now from both dealerships and an independent mechanic, all coming in a $1000 for parts and labor.

I am not confident in my ability to repair it correctly. Now the bike sits for the rest of the already short season here in southern Ontario.

Sigh.

:crying:

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
$400 for parts..... I always do my own work. But...I'm still on the original one....45,000 miles and still going strong. It just needs to be started correctly.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I can't imagine owning the kind of bikes I do without doing my own work (my everyday-rider 2004 Vstar is the -newest- of the couple-dozen 'metrics' I own, the oldest being a '66...) I know it's not for everyone BUT it's also not nearly as daunting as it feels. Changing a starter clutch ain't easy or necessarily a beginner project. BUT, speaking as a guy who drops the engine on a whim, when needed, it's not beyond the dedicated amateur either... there's a ton of instructions out there, videos on Youtube, and much great advice here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can't imagine owning the kind of bikes I do without doing my own work (my everyday-rider 2004 Vstar is the -newest- of the couple-dozen 'metrics' I own, the oldest being a '66...) I know it's not for everyone BUT it's also not nearly as daunting as it feels. Changing a starter clutch ain't easy or necessarily a beginner project. BUT, speaking as a guy who drops the engine on a whim, when needed, it's not beyond the dedicated amateur either... there's a ton of instructions out there, videos on Youtube, and much great advice here.

I am growing more confident with some encouraging words from the forum and fellow riding friends who said they would help. I may just take my time and do it all myself. Any suggestions on kits via eBay? Are cheap kits just a bad idea? Any specific parts I should make sure the kits has? I am a dedicated amateur for sure. Besides, I'd be proud once completed.....

·
Registered
609 Posts
I am growing more confident with some encouraging words from the forum and fellow riding friends who said they would help. I may just take my time and do it all myself. Any suggestions on kits via eBay? Are cheap kits just a bad idea? Any specific parts I should make sure the kits has? I am a dedicated amateur for sure. Besides, I'd be proud once completed.....
I don't have any suggestions myself, since (fingers crossed) my starter clutch has been totally solid.

Having said that, you're doing the right thing. ASK. Despite being a fairly adept mechanic and 30 years riding experience... I ask "stupid newb" questions all the time. Heck. Better to ask than to "decide you know"... The forum has always been a great resource for me and I hope (expect) someone will have good advice for you on how to proceed.

PS - Whatever Sick Mick says = gospel. I've done a lot of work on a lot of bikes. I'm a generalist with good overall knowledge. Mick is, bar-none, the guru of v-star. Whatever he tells you to do... do that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am hoping someone can list the parts I should be buying to do this myself. I am already grateful for the words of encouragement to help get me this far. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I'd stay away for the Ebay stuff. Use the good stuff unless you really enjoy doing a job over again.

Like mentioned above....when working on something, just know when you are over your head and make preparations. Study everything before starting and if you don't understand...try to learn. Always...always....learn everything before you start. Make sure you have the Yamaha Shop manual and read through the repair process over and over.

We all started with limited knowledge......

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'd stay away for the Ebay stuff. Use the good stuff unless you really enjoy doing a job over again.

Like mentioned above....when working on something, just know when you are over your head and make preparations. Study everything before starting and if you don't understand...try to learn. Always...always....learn everything before you start. Make sure you have the Yamaha Shop manual and read through the repair process over and over.

We all started with limited knowledge......
Gotta sorta disagree on this one. Buying on Ebay has been a 99% positive experience for me and saved me boatloads of money.

Yes, that's 99%, not 100%. What has worked for me? ONLY buy NOS or used OEM parts, don't buy aftermarket crap outta China. ONLY buy from a "top rated" seller. They not only are required to offer reasonable terms and return policies BUT they also lose their rating if people complain - so they're motivated to NOT screw you. ONLY buy from folks that seem to be professional, offer good clear thorough photos, etc. Use common sense, and Ebay can be a fantastic resource.

I'd also say this of ANY buying decision, Ebay or other: Don't buy "safety-critical" items used unless there's no other choice. I see used brake lines, brake pads, tires, etc. for sale regularly. Just doesn't make sense to me...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts