Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way I can tell if my 2004 1100 Classic is affected by the starter clutch kickback issue? I have been holding the starter button about 1/2 second after the engine fires…enough to hear the starter motor spin freely after the motor rumbles to life. I believe this is what I am supposed to do - please correct if I am wrong.

Anyway, I have heard that this was an issue for bikes mid-2004 and later. I was wondering if mine was affected. :confused:

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's what I do

I have a 1999 1100 Custom and, after reading the starter clutch issue, I became very sensitive to any sounds my starter was making. Bottom line for me is it has always started every time I have asked it to. I too leave my thumb on the button long enough to make sure the motor is running as that shouldn't hurt anything. The threads I have read point to giving it any throttle and stopping the starter too soon. With that combination you run the risk of the motor turning backwards with great force and an ignited charge of fuel. This will run you the risk of damaging the starter clutch. The starting process is well documented on some other threads. You sound to me like you are all right and doing the right thing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts