Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully somebody can help me. My starter went out on my 04 V Star. I bought a new one from BikeBandit.com. I put it on today and all it does is spin. It doesn't turn the motor over at all. HELP! Did I do something wrong? Is something else wrong besides my starter? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
More than likely you have lost the stater clutch. A by product of starting the bike wrong, that is giving it throttle
when you are starting it and not holding till it does start. The kick back will damage it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Farmalldanzil for your input. If it is what you said is that an expensive fix? I would have to have a motorcycle shop do it for me.

Any other suggestions are still welcome. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
The kit goes for 350$ to 500$ but I have seen them for as little as 169$ on ebay ??. There are some threads on how to fix it your self on the forum. The price to Fix is all over the place from a few hundred dollars too 1500. or more. I believe you can remove your starter and see if the gear can be moved back a forth. It should move only one way.

http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1657978 172 threads with starter clutch :>)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again farmalldanzil. You're right the price to fix is all over the place. And the pricing for the kit is too. I guess it depends on which kit you buy. I will pull my starter back off and check out if the gear spins both ways. Much appreciated.:)

·
Registered
894 Posts
This one looks like it has all the parts for $169 (same as farmandanzil mentioned) and the seller has sold 47 of these kits with good responses and a top rate + rating. Might be something to look at if you want to tackle this yourself. It can be found cheaper, too, but ebay seems to be the popular place to source these parts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Yamaha-VStar-V-Star-XVS-1100-XVS1100-Starter-Clutch-gasket-bolts-99-09-/380820415005

P.S. There is an arrow on the flanged part. The orientation must remain the same on the new parts.

·
Registered
894 Posts
It requires a flywheel puller and definitely the repair manual. Here's a write up with pictures to help with the decision. Doable for the mechanically inclined. Not so much so if you think SAE stands for Serious Adverse Event or that Metric is a useful piece of data manipulated in several ways to prevent actual work from ever being performed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thinking I should just buy and parts and pay for labor :D Sometimes its best to admit defeat and have somebody else do the work. I can live with that :)

·
Registered
894 Posts
No shame in that. I you want to buy your own parts, make sure the shop will allow it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I finally bought the parts to fix my bike. I had a repair shop lined up to do it. I went to the shop yesterday and they changed their mind. I even contacted a Yamaha dealer and they said they will put it in BUT they wont try and start the bike until I pay them and if it doesn't start well then that is my problem. I kind of feel like they are planning on it not starting so I have to pay them more money for parts and labor. I am so on the fence about the entire thing.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Wow man. Sorry bout your starter problem. That really sucks. And repair shops always seem to have ya by the balls. You should really consider doing the job yourself. Not all that difficult and will give you a better working knowledge of how your bike works. Not to mention the satisfaction and pride of having accomplished it yourself. Really sucks to happened at the beginning of the riding season though. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I was thinking of trying it myself. I would need to buy a manual first. I would also need to get a flywheel puller. I looked on Bikebandit.com and they have several different ones. Not sure which one is the one I need.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, I was thinking of trying it myself. I would need to buy a manual first. I would also need to get a flywheel puller. I looked on Bikebandit.com and they have several different ones. Not sure which one is the one I need.
I bought this harmonic balancer puller at an auto parts store. Worked great:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just did the starter clutch swap on my 07 Vstar 1100 this winter.

I pulled the manual and the write-ups off the internet.

The only special tool needed is the wheel/pulley puller. My $150 Matco set was too big to fit inside the flywheel, so I bought a $20 set at Autozone (like the one in the post above this one).

Other than that, holding the flywheel in place while you torque it back down is the only other difficult part.

I made a sheave holder that got me close, then I hit it with an impact to finish it.

If you want to be dead on with the torque specs, you have to either block one of the pistons, or buy/rent/steal a sheave holder.

I highly recommend this vendor and this starter clutch upgrade kit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Roller-Reinforced-Type-VStar-V-Star-XVS-1100-XVS1100-Starter-Clutch-1999-09-/380768659192?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a794a6f8&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My bike is back on the road! I ordered the Clymer manual and my buddy and I changed out the starter clutch. Aahz, I did buy that starter clutch you linked. Someone else linked the same one on page 1 of this thread. The rollers are so much bigger than the stock. Its almost like Yamaha wants it to break with that cheap ass factory starter clutch. We didn't have a sheave holder so we just used an impact. It broke the flywheel free without a problem. I used a harmonic balancer ( liked pictured above) to pull off the flywheel. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. Thanks to the manual of course. That book is worth its weight in gold! lol. Thanks to all that posted to help me. Your suggestions are much appreciated. Aahz, the only problem with that kit I bought from ebay is no bike shop would touch those parts. Now that I know how do install it ( and to start my bike properly) I don't have to worry about it anymore.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My bike is back on the road! I ordered the Clymer manual and my buddy and I changed out the starter clutch. Aahz, I did buy that starter clutch you linked. Someone else linked the same one on page 1 of this thread. The rollers are so much bigger than the stock. Its almost like Yamaha wants it to break with that cheap ass factory starter clutch. We didn't have a sheave holder so we just used an impact. It broke the flywheel free without a problem. I used a harmonic balancer ( liked pictured above) to pull off the flywheel. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. Thanks to the manual of course. That book is worth its weight in gold! lol. Thanks to all that posted to help me. Your suggestions are much appreciated. Aahz, the only problem with that kit I bought from ebay is no bike shop would touch those parts. Now that I know how do install it ( and to start my bike properly) I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Good to hear you are back on the road! I removed the crank bolt with my impact wrench. Found the best way to reinstall it and get it torqued correctly was to put a soft washer in the gears on the clutch side. Of course I had to spend an extra 8 bucks on a gasket and mess with a ton more bolts of different sizes, and buy a new oil filter cover because the stupid pot metal ear broke when I was removing it but hey, I got it torqued to spec without a special tool!

·
Registered
50 Posts
My bike is back on the road!
Glad to hear it!

no bike shop would touch those parts.
Sounds about right. Finding a good independent shop is nearly impossible and no dealer wants to:
A) admit the factory parts are junk.
B) accept any liability
C) lose out on the $600 in parts revenue

Cost drove me away from the factory parts but so did the fact that Yamaha had this problem for many years and failed to solve it. Yes, the guy I bought the bike from started it wrong, and that's likely what fragged the original. I RTFM and know better but still, parts failure in my world = time for an UPGRADE, not a replacement.

I went with that kit after reading some of the 1000 or so reviews that seller has (many of them for that exact kit) and so far, I am glad I did.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts