Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to bring a Vstar 1100 back to life that I purchased as a parts bike. When cranking it is making an awful whining noise from the starter area. It doesn't always do this and will fire up. Right after trying to crank it I checked the battery and it was at 12.30V so I put it on a charger. The lights were also dimming when I tried to start it. Could this be caused by a weak battery or other problems? I have attached a link to a video of the noise below. Sorry I do not know how to embed the video so I just included a link.

https://youtu.be/_yYT8uzCvE4

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
What is the voltage when you crank it over?

You can take the starter apart and clean it on the inside.....2 bolts and about 20 minutes. They get packed full of carbon from the brushes. Take time to regrease the bearings.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Resurrecting....

I have a pretty loud whine as well. Always turns over. New and bigger battery. Any links on how to take the starter apart and clean it Mick?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I am trying to bring a Vstar 1100 back to life that I purchased as a parts bike. When cranking it is making an awful whining noise from the starter area. It doesn't always do this and will fire up. Right after trying to crank it I checked the battery and it was at 12.30V so I put it on a charger. The lights were also dimming when I tried to start it. Could this be caused by a weak battery or other problems? I have attached a link to a video of the noise below. Sorry I do not know how to embed the video so I just included a link.

https://youtu.be/_yYT8uzCvE4
that noise is the starter clutch slipping, mine does it when the oil is thick from low temps, if i warm the left case cover with a heat gun the oil in the starter clutch will thin enough for the one way bearing to lock in instead of slip, if it's not cold out i would just change the oil before the one way bearing gets damaged that bearing on an 1100 is weak to begin with, half the 1100s out there had a failure of that bearing, the sound is the wedge rollers scrapping the outer race instead of locking to it

·
Registered
33 Posts
that noise is the starter clutch slipping, mine does it when the oil is thick from low temps, if i warm the left case cover with a heat gun the oil in the starter clutch will thin enough for the one way bearing to lock in instead of slip, if it's not cold out i would just change the oil before the one way bearing gets damaged that bearing on an 1100 is weak to begin with, half the 1100s out there had a failure of that bearing, the sound is the wedge rollers scrapping the outer race instead of locking to it

I'm using dino Rotella-T 15W-40 and I only have 1500 mi. on this change. Is it possible that it's the starter itself and it just needs cleaned as mentioned earlier?

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'm using dino Rotella-T 15W-40 and I only have 1500 mi. on this change. Is it possible that it's the starter itself and it just needs cleaned as mentioned earlier?
How cold is it where you are? I use Rotella T6 5W-40 and the cold viscosity allowed my starter to spin the motor with no issues in this morning's 27°F temp. The spec for your motorcycle is most likely 10W but you're using an oil that is essentially thicker than that when cold.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I usually ride above forty degrees, which means I don't get to ride very often in the winter.... The engine always spins fine. I thought I read that the dino oil was better for the wet clutch.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/repairs/starter only thing i'm aware of. the brushes can get very dirty.the pics were deleted by photoshop.if its turning the motor over its working.if its kicking out and the engine is not turning over it could be the clutch.. the starter looks easy to take out. be careful putting it back in. the gear needs to aligne

·
Registered
909 Posts
I usually ride above forty degrees, which means I don't get to ride very often in the winter.... The engine always spins fine. I thought I read that the dino oil was better for the wet clutch.
It's not so much the dino aspect of the oil (there's a lot of BS on the interwebz about synth being too slippery for wet clutches... derp) but you are correct in choosing Rotella because it doesn't contain friction modifiers that can adversely affect wet clutches and it conforms to JASO-MA standards which is what you want for a motorcycle with a wet clutch. However IMO 15w is a little on the thick side for starting in colder temps (usually below 60ºF is when a 10W multi-grade is suggested) and as pauli466 pointed out, the thickness of an oil at colder temps can affect certain starter clutches and keep them from engaging properly/fully during startup.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
there are a lot of failures with 1100 starter clutches yours may be hanging on by a thread, the outer race may have fractured when it completely breaks the rollers won't grab at all, the starter will spin and the engine won't

1 - 11 of 11 Posts