Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey this is my first time posting on the forum well i have a starter problem that happened todayon my 2002 vstar 1100 the starter spins like ita not grabing but i saw that one of the starter bolts had snaped on the housing could that be my problem that my bike doesnt want to start?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
That is not good, and an indication of improper starting procedures. You can fix that and re-install the starter to see what happens, but my guess is that the starter clutch is destroyed....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ugh thats great well im going to try to see if changing that bolt can fix the issue for now... but i might as well order the starter gear and a new starter then

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
The starter may be OK...I'd take it apart and check it before I ordered a new one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The starter may be OK...I'd take it apart and check it before I ordered a new one.
Yeah but the problem is that the starter housing bolts one is twisted and the other snapped i tryed to find new bolts but never happend.. I wanted to test it outto see if my starter gear i shot

·
Registered
318 Posts
That is not good, and an indication of improper starting procedures. You can fix that and re-install the starter to see what happens, but my guess is that the starter clutch is destroyed....
By mentioning improper starting procedures I think he's referring to not advancing the throttle grip when starting the bike. Advancing the throttle grip also advances the timing which causes detonation and could damage the starter mechanism.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a question can i still push start the bike if it has a damaged starter gear?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can tell you first hand, it happened to me. My starter pretty much exploded on me at a grub stop one day, both bolts sheared. You can bump it off if the starter is jacked, but I don't recommend it, only in an emergency. I bumped mine and got it to work with extreme caution. I ended up replacing my bolts and cleaning up the starter pretty good and it worked like a champ. Look, the starter clutch was fine, just cheap bolts. I work aviation, so bolts were no issue to get ahold of. Also, like the guys before me said, do not throttle the bike while trying to start it, bad ju-ju. I didn't do it, I just had bad luck. Good luck, and be sure to upgrade the bolts to something a little stronger.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah i wasnt sure thats how i got it home i oreder a need starter it should he here tomrow... But is it still possible it you have a toasted starter gear to bump start or push start the bike?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
yes.......

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got my starter today and put it in and she started like a champ!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts