Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So moral of the story, this happened last year during winter also, When I press the starter button it's as if the starter spins once and then freezes, Sometimes it'll happen a few times in a row and then it'll start. It o ly happens when it's below freezing, If its for say 40°f it'll turn over and fire on the first press each time. Here's a video the capture isn't the best I tried to explain in the video whats going on but the gopro is attached to my helmet so it's a little muffled. Thanks
-Brenden

· Registered
6,193 Posts
Reaction score
What weight oil are you using? I would be willing to bet it is having trouble turning the engine through the first compression stroke until the oil gets moved around a but.

· Registered
6,193 Posts
Reaction score
I figured as much, I would suggest a 10 w 30 if you want to continue winter riding. Keep the battery on a charger , you will need a full charge for that first start of the day.
They have a small starter and battery, you are pushing it's limit with a summer weight oil.

· Registered
2014 V Star 1300 Tourer
166 Posts
Reaction score
+1 on what Jspree said, and don’t sit there with the ignition switch on, as you’re lights put more strain on that little battery than you think, especially in the cold. Start bike immediately after turning your ignition switch on as you need as much juice from the battery as you can get. As far as one cylinder misfiring when cold, my carbureted Honda ACE has always done it in cold weather, but quickly straightens out during warm up.

• Helpful
Reactions: lesblank

· Registered
8 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wouldnt the 10-30 to 10-40 be the same for cold start since they are both lower 10s? The 650s all have the same motors, Correct? I know in my 02 they only give 2 weights in the manual but I have looked up newer manuals and see where they have way more options, last but not least I was looking up 10-30 and it doesn't appear yamalube makes any, Which is what iv always used for my yamaha products. Do you have a suggested brand I should look at?

· Registered
6,193 Posts
Reaction score
I like Castrol, just make sure what ever oil you get doesn't have have better slip additive, the will hurt the clutch.

· Registered
8 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could be a borderline bad battery. They don't like cold. Interesting that it made it all through the summer, but it might be worth a try to pull the battery and have it load tested at your local auto parts store.
I had it load tested last year when it was doing the same thing, Probably wouldn't hurt to pull it and give it another shot tho. The bike did sit for about 4 years with the previous owner, And iv had it for 2 years so far daily riding. Not sure how old the battery is. First bike and iv done all the maintenance (More of a "If it f**** up, Its my fault" attitude and money wise) thanks for the advice, I'll see what they say about the battery tomorrow

· Registered
01 vstar 650 custom
38 Posts
Reaction score
Mine had been doing the same thing even in the summer… how many miles are on your bike? A worn out starter has that same issue where it’ll turn and crank like the battery is dead, but next crank it will start just fine.
Found a used unit on eBay from a company who was parting out bikes for $40 shipped with around 1500 miles on it.
If you load test the battery and it’s fine, change the oil and doesn’t help, I’d suggest looking at the starter 👍

· Premium Member
'18 SVTC
1,160 Posts
Reaction score
I had it load tested last year when it was doing the same thing, Probably wouldn't hurt to pull it and give it another shot tho. The bike did sit for about 4 years with the previous owner, And iv had it for 2 years so far daily riding. Not sure how old the battery is. First bike and iv done all the maintenance (More of a "If it f**** up, Its my fault" attitude and money wise) thanks for the advice, I'll see what they say about the battery tomorrow
If you haven't already had the test done, try to keep the battery as cold as you can before/during the test. If you let it warm up in your car and then in the store it will think it's on a tropical island somewhere instead of the frozen tundra..... :D

· Registered
70 Posts
Reaction score
So moral of the story, this happened last year during winter also, When I press the starter button it's as if the starter spins once and then freezes, Sometimes it'll happen a few times in a row and then it'll start. It o ly happens when it's below freezing, If its for say 40°f it'll turn over and fire on the first press each time.
At 30 degrees it's trying to tell you something 🥶

· Registered
12 Posts
Reaction score
So moral of the story, this happened last year during winter also, When I press the starter button it's as if the starter spins once and then freezes, Sometimes it'll happen a few times in a row and then it'll start. It o ly happens when it's below freezing, If its for say 40°f it'll turn over and fire on the first press each time. Here's a video the capture isn't the best I tried to explain in the video whats going on but the gopro is attached to my helmet so it's a little muffled. Thanks
-Brenden
Switch to Amsoil and stay with the recommended weight at that mild a temperature. This stuff was formulated for Minnesota and Wisconsin winters.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts