Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced starting issues when bike is lying on sidestand causing fuel starvation.
On my XVS 650 Custom it’s really difficult to start when resting on the sidestand but starts readily when upright.

runs sweetly once it’s running

suspecting an issue with floats in the carbs but wanted to bounce it off you guys first.

Thanks in advance for any response 😀

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Super place to learn, laugh a little and share. When you have a moment, use the new member thread to tell us more about you and your ride. Couple of questions:
  • is the outdoor temp warm or cold when trying to start?
  • are you using full choke/enricher when starting?
  • dumb question... but is the tank full when you have the problem?
  • have you tested to make sure you have spark at the plugs when on the side stand? I think there is a tip over switch on the 650.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you I will. Bike is indoors but it is cold - around 5C.
A little choke
Tank is full and also tested with external
Problem is not electrical - spark present, coils giving correct resistance levels.
Once started it runs perfectly.

going to adjust the floats and balance the carbs

·
Registered
991 Posts
I might suggest trying to start with full choke first before tearing into carbs. My 650 fires right away on full choke in the cold, which I leave on full for 20-30 secs, then start out right away on half choke, then no choke after 2-3 tenths of a mile. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts