Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I have a 2009 Roadliner, that I have owned for 2 years now. The bike is awesome looking at least, my issues is I have had starting issues since I owned it. I have had batteries replaced, bike has been tested by dealer with no real problems found. I can drive about 5 miles to the gas station, fill up, and it will not start. It acts as if there is too much compression, have tried jumping during those times, still have issues starting. have to let it sit for a moment, and it will finally start. Just plain unreliable.

Has anyone experience the same? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,872 Posts
Is the motor turning over and not starting? Fuel and/or spark issues.

Or is not turning over? Battery/starter/electrical issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
at the point of failure, it acts as if it has a dead or weak battery, so it attempts to turn over...but not cranking if you will.

·
5,872 Posts
I suggest check battery connectors for no corrosion and tightness, at battery and where they connect to bike. It's a know issue for ground cable to frame to corrode causing poor connection. The positive should connect to the starter relay, check that one too. Just because the connection looks good, take them off and clean, the slightest bit of corrosion can be causing the issue. Then load test battery, any parts store will do it for free. Report your findings back and keep us informed. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the recommendation, Fustrating to say the least, I have a "For Sale" sign ready to go if all fails.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
dont sell the bike because it wont start right

it could be a very simple/cheap thing to fix
and you will not get good money for a bike that is not running/starting right

sometimes intermittent problems can be difficult to track down, but its worth the time and effort compared to bailing on an otherwise good motorbike

I looked at an aircooled VW bug years ago

took it for a test ride and it ran terribly
got back to the owners driveway, opened the engine compartment while it was idling, and noticed the vacuum line to the distributor was off

pushed it back on, the car began to idle normally, and the owner said WHAT DID YOU JUST DO?!?!

I showed him, pulled it back off - idled like kwrap on a stick, pushed it back on - perfect

I asked him: do you still want to sell it?

No!

·
Registered
944 Posts
When cleaning your connections do yourself a favor and get some dialectic grease. Since you are already there a few moments extra in time and a few dollars will be time and money well spent! Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, just had a chance to check a couple of things on my 09 Roadliner, I have had it on trickle charge for the past week, it did start although slowly, meaning sounds as if rhe battery is weak. I checked both positive and negative connections, no corrosion found, good clean connection points. I checked voltage with a Fluke meter and found 11.8 vdc.

Not sure if this is enough to kick over engine without issue.

·
5,872 Posts
If you take your battery to any automotive parts store they can load test and charge for free. Sounds like a bad battery but always best to test before buying a new one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Battery does sound weak. Takes a fully charged battery to turn over the Strats big motor. Mine was doing the same thing last fall while on a trip. Battery fixed the problem. Also in the past I have had the bad battery connection problem on other bikes. Even if the connections look clean, clean them anyway. I take some sand paper and clean connectors on wires and battery post. Apply dialectic grease before reconnecting. Problem solved. I now keep a small piece of sand paper in my tool bag and make that process a part of my yearly maintenance. Better to do it then that on the side of the road again 😁

·
Registered
31 Posts
If the battery is ok your decompression solenoid may be faulty. 11.8 is definitely low. Bit if that was the voltage after trying & failing to start may be the decompression solenoid. Good luck

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't know exactly where it is. I know I had to replace one on my Roadstar years back. I will research it later. Gotta work now. I will post back here later

·
Registered
31 Posts
OK I did some digging and I was wrong. I assumed that the liner motor had the solenoid like the Roadstar motors do, but they do not
Sorry about that
Hope you get it sorted out, they are great bikes

DOC

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for getting back, the more I dig into this, it seems like the starter is at issue as well, just plain puzzling. I will keep digging to sort this out. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts