Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I am just going to throw this out there. After re-reading your problem i understand what it is doing. I had an1800 VTX that did pretty much the same thing. It turned out to be the starter button switched just needed to be cleaned with contact cleaner. I don't think 11.8 is enough to turn that big engine over i would like to see 12.4

·
Registered
31 Posts
Any progress with that issue?
I was thinking you could possibly need a starter relay too. They can flake out. It would be easier & cheaper than the starter!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Not yet, busy week. I plan to look at it this weekend, thanks for the recommendations, I will probably change out the starter relay as well as check the starter button to make sure it is not dirty. This bike in its current state is simply unreliable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
All, thanks for all of the recommendations and advice, tried starting before removing, and it started very slow, so finally took battery to autozone for testing, it came up as a bad battery, replace. OK next question, since this bike has a specific size, not a lot of room for options, what battery have you found to be the best?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,872 Posts
Kinda glad it turned out to be the battery, easy fix. You are going to get many recommendations on which battery is best. For me I've bought my last two batteries from Batteries Plus. I have one close and they keep it in stock. My first one lasted four years and would still be good except voltage regulator went out frying it. It's an AGM battery that is extremely resilient to vibration.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Do you have to take apart to replace? If you do you can put a pigtail on so you can hook up charger without taking apart. You can also check the battery without removing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
ok thanks, this is what I currently have, seems like I replaced this about a year ago, will confirm tomorrow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I generally go with the OEM yuasa battery. My OEM battery in my 2002 Roadstar lasted 8 years. Replacement batteries seem to go maybe 3 to 4 years just my experience with them

·
5,872 Posts
ok thanks, this is what I currently have, seems like I replaced this about a year ago, will confirm tomorrow.
If you purchased less than a year ago, it's within the free replacement period.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
All, update on battery issue; i found that my battery was truly bad, was out of warranty also, I found one that fits at battery shark.com. Exact fit, came fully charged from battery shark.com. See specs below, came to $40.00 with shipping, will let you know how it holds up,
ST14B-4​
K​
12​
12​
240 cca​
+/-​
5.94​
2.76​
5.79​
8.99lbs​
$29.10​

·
5,872 Posts
All, update on battery issue; i found that my battery was truly bad, was out of warranty also, I found one that fits at battery shark.com. Exact fit, came fully charged from battery shark.com. See specs below, came to $40.00 with shipping, will let you know how it holds up,
ST14B-4​
K​
12​
12​
240 cca​
+/-​
5.94​
2.76​
5.79​
8.99lbs​
$29.10​
So, it's up and running?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yes, its up and running. Installed and tested, started up several times, best start since I have had the bike....thanks to all for assistance.

·
5,872 Posts
That's great to hear. Now the next time someone comes up with a similar situation you can tell them what to check and how it fixed your issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ST14B-4​
K​
12​
12​
240 cca​
+/-​
5.94​
2.76​
5.79​
8.99lbs​
$29.10​
Wow , $40 is a great price!

I may get one of those. My battery is Ng. I was waiting until spring to buy one. Glad I waited now!

Thanks for the update

21 - 36 of 36 Posts