Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I leave for work at 6:00 am and have very loud pipes. I had another thread about replacing the baffles, but an alternative to that would be to simply start the engine and roll at low rpms right away without warming the bike up to get out of the neighborhood.

I know it is not ideal, but would this do major damage in the long run?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,399 Posts
Been doing the same thing on my 1100 and current HD for years. No issues. Why are you sleeping in? :LOL: I leave at 4am.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic in black
1,314 Posts
Most car makers, at least, recommend taking off immediately after start-up, but without labouring the engine. Taking straight off will make the engine reach working temps sooner, reducing the time on enrichened mixture that would otherwise wipe oil off the cylinder walls and end up in the sump, mixing in with the oil.

·
Registered
2009 650 classic white
361 Posts
On first startup, the engine has a little tic tic in the top end till the oil gets up there. I wait till it goes away before I ride off. Usually 10 to 20 seconds.

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
633 Posts
My bike is always heated...it has its own heated blanket, pillow and play soft music in the background so it is always warm, rested and relaxed.
Seriously I do tend to let it warm up at idle for a minute or two before taking off.
No scented candles? You savage.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
With fuel injection, taking off right away. Should not cause any issues. Especially, at lower rpms.
I have a carb bike and she can be finiky when she starts in cold weather. I cannot just take off. I have to let her ward up.
She has been so temperamental at times. I had to use a blow-dryer to warm up the carb before she'd stay running. (Which means she is due for a cleaning.)

Ride smart. Ride often!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With fuel injection, taking off right away. Should not cause any issues. Especially, at lower rpms.
I have a carb bike and she can be finiky when she starts in cold weather. I cannot just take off. I have to let her ward up.
She has been so temperamental at times. I had to use a blow-dryer to warm up the carb before she'd stay running. (Which means she is due for a cleaning.)

Ride smart. Ride often!
I do not have fuel injection. 2003, so carbs and choke.

·
Registered
291 Posts
My pipes are loud, but the bike warms up fast (you can hear it drop in idle speed) and drive slow to keep the noise down until I'm out to the main drag. I don't think it will made much difference in sound level warming up the bike compared to passing the houses slowly. Seems like you're already doing what is reasonable to accommodate your neighbors, I personally wouldn't worry about the neighbors to that level if nobody is complaining.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My pipes are loud, but the bike warms up fast (you can hear it drop in idle speed) and drive slow to keep the noise down until I'm out to the main drag. I don't think it will made much difference in sound level warming up the bike compared to passing the houses slowly. Seems like you're already doing what is reasonable to accommodate your neighbors, I personally wouldn't worry about the neighbors to that level if nobody is complaining.
I haven't done it yet. I only got the bike last week and start commuting next week so we will see.

·
Registered
760 Posts
These are issues I do not have. Being retired, I'm not up until the sun is high in the sky. Living in the country, down a dirt road, there are only a couple of houses on the road. The neighbors are much younger than I, so are already up, out and about by the time I get going (I think the school bus comes around 7 am). The critters have never complained either.

My 650 has V&H pipes on it; it needs to warm up a little before moving, otherwise it'll stall. The pipes aren't very loud anyway.

The Strat has the stock pipes. My buddy rags on me about it because he had never heard tire noise on a motorcycle before, he couldn't figure out what it was at first. He's a motorcycle mechanic. The stock exhaust is very quiet and I like it that way.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic in black
1,314 Posts
The majority of people in this world are annoyed by noise. Meaning loud pipes for the most part will give motorcycles a bad rep. I have owned many a loud bike myself, but these days I prefer them to be pretty silent.

On topic; my stock 650 will fire right up sans choke if it is warm-ish outside, like 15C/60F or more, and be ready to roll right away.

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
784 Posts
I got a carb Road Star and a injected one. Carb one has to warm up or it will sputter. I wait until it will idle without the tickler pulled out. The injected one I wait until the idle drops. I use thin oil so it gets to where it needs to be fast.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I leave for work at 6:00 am and have very loud pipes. I had another thread about replacing the baffles, but an alternative to that would be to simply start the engine and roll at low rpms right away without warming the bike up to get out of the neighborhood.

I know it is not ideal, but would this do major damage in the long run?
I'm going to go ahead and chime in, even though I'm in agreement with about everyone else. On either my 650 or my Stratoliner, I cold start and pull out of the driveway and go. I just try to take it easy on the throttle and keep the top RPM down until I'm pretty sure the oil has picked up some amount of heat. And I'm talking in the dead of winter when overnight lows are in the teens or lower (°F).

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
784 Posts
The majority of people in this world are annoyed by noise. Meaning loud pipes for the most part will give motorcycles a bad rep. I have owned many a loud bike myself, but these days I prefer them to be pretty silent.

On topic; my stock 650 will fire right up sans choke if it is warm-ish outside, like 15C/60F or more, and be ready to roll right away.
I don't hear well anymore, I tried a set of hearing aids but did not like them. I could hear to much. Going to try a set that I can program from my phone, just don't know what ones to get.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts