Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My starter relay went south a couple of weeks ago. Now that I've replaced it, the bikes fires up for a second and dies immediately, so it seems like a lack of fuel issue.

I replaced the fuel injection fuse with no change. Will check continuity on the fuel pump relay next. Looking for other suggestions while I try to exorcise a demon. Yes, it has plenty of gas in the tank. lol

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
from a cause and effect perspective, are there any other wires near the starter relay that you might have disturbed or pulled when you changed it?

It sounds like the fuel enrichment (choke) function is supply fuel while the bike is cranking the starter and then it shuts the fuel off.

Maybe you jostled a wire in that area and its not making good contact.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is definitely a possibility. I'll go back through the wiring. It was running great other than the starter relay issue. So yeah, the replacement is somehow related.

I would put the old one back on and see what happens, but managed to destroy it during the initial examination. :laugh: No. Not funny.

Thank you much!

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally had some time to look at my starting issue. I believe that my new starter relay is bad. I went cheap and I think it bit me. Ordering an OEM relay today.

What I found is that as long as I hold the starter button, the bike runs. As soon as I left it go, it dies. I checked continuity (cause that's all the direction I could find) on the starting circuit relay and fuel pump relay and they seem to be fine. Couldn't find anything on checking the starter relay itself, but the starter button thing, the fact that the fuel injection and starter relay are in one unit (more or less), one blade in the FI fuse connector seems a little off, and that's the only change I've made, lead me to believe that's the issue.

We'll see. If anyone has another idea I'm all ears. :smile:

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
This is one for the archives.

Glad you got it running. Surprised wiring it backwards didnt release the magic electron smoke.

This is one thing that is different on motorcycles from cars.

On cars connectors and plugs are usually one big plug that can only go in one way.

On many motorcycles parts are wired with individual wires that have to be connected to the right pins.

This is a good lesson, before pulling the wires off any module, take a good photo. Or better yet label the wires with tape, and make a little drawing in the last page of your owners manual.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're absolutely right. Should have taken pix. Labeled. Something. That's what happens when you're in a hurry, working under less than ideal circumstances. But it all came out ok in the end and that's the best news!

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,349 Posts
Stupid stupid stupid.

I wired the relay backwards. I thought I had checked that but apparently not.

Well. She runs anyway. :)
You didn't wire it backwards, you were improving your diagnosing skills. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts