Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

State Motorcycle Laws...

4K views 47 replies 16 participants last post by  graybeard 
#1 ·
I recently picked up a pamphlet regarding information on TN motorcycle laws and wanted to see what the laws are in your state respectively.
In TN helmets are required, windshield, goggles, impact resistant glasses, or face shield required if no windshield.
May proceed through red light after complete stop at intersection controlled by detection devices. If a collision occurs, motorcycle is deemed at fault.
License plate, tag, must be attached to the rear horizontally and no less than 12” from the ground. Vertical display is allowed for custom bikes.
One or two headlights are allowed and must remain on at all times. Modulating headlights are allowed. No blue lights can be displayed up front unless it’s Law Enforcement.
Tail light/Brake lights flashing system is allowed and must flash for five seconds, then change to continuous light and must be red in color.
No minimum age for child to ride as passenger as long as they can touch floorboards/pegs and be able to sit on passenger seat.
Motorcycles may use H.O.V. lanes.
No lane splitting or lane sharing.
There is no vehicle inspections in TN.
So what is required in your state?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not in law enforcement so I don't have the same insight but here's what I believe the rules are here:

DOT approved helmets are required here, no requirement for goggles or windshields that I'm aware of.
Daytime running lights are required for all vehicles in Canada, including motorcycles.
No annual inspection required here in New Brunswick, but our neighboring province (Nova Scotia) does require it.
Not enough traffic here for HOV lanes, no lane splitting either.
New riders cannot carry a passenger, ride at night or tow a trailer until they pass a second test after 1 year.
Not sure of any rules for child passengers. I remember my uncle taking me for a ride on his 350/4 Honda sitting in front of him. But that was the early 70s when stretching out on the shelf of the rear window of the car was common for kids.

#3 ·
This is an interesting thread. Wisconsin laws i don't know all of the specifice but i suppose i should look into them. We don't have a helmet law. Must have eye protection. I believe you can go thru a red light if you have sat at least a minute. If your rear turn indicators are red they must work for the brakes also. I have to admit the LEOs are pretty tolerant of cycle riders and don't hassle you unless you deserve it.

#4 · (Edited)
Ohio Laws here:
I'm not sure I can address all the items you did but, here's my best shot (some from memory)...
Helmets. Under 18 required (Driver or Passenger). Over 18, required for your first year after endorsement. After that, you're free to ride without. Eye protection required - a windshield counts as protection (I'm unsure if there is a windshield height requirement to count as eye protection).
Hmm. Red light laws. I think you have to sit through a whole cycle before you can go through on Red if you're not detected.
Plates? Not sure I've ever seen any law addressing license plate orientation. You have to have one. ?
Headlight. Must be on at all times. I think the normal rules apply (up to 4 forward facing - for old 4 headlight system on cars).
Tail Light. Never seen anything addressing this as far as flashing goes.
Minimum age for passenger. Unknown.
HOV Lanes - Unknown (I don't have any anywhere near me. Maybe some in Columbus or Cleveland; none in Cincinnati. Certainly none in Dayton.)
Lane Splitting. Not addressed at all. Neither declared legal nor declared illegal. Personal discretion of a law enforcement officer if he sees you doing it. (Probably an 'Unsafe Operation' or 'Reckless Operation' if they decide to cite you.)
Vehicle Inspection: None.
If anyone else from Ohio chimes in, they probably know better than I do so, go with what they say!
Edit to Add:
Hearing Protection. Currently not allowed to wear earplugs or earbuds (for music) in both ears while operating a motor vehicle. HOWEVER:
Ohio HB 129 was introduced in March 2019 to allow motorcyclists to wear hearing protection in both ears (but not music playing earbuds). The bill Passed the House Committee (Unanimously) and Passed the Full House Vote (again, unanimously) in June. It has moved on to a Senate Committee. If it passes in committee, it goes to the full Senate. If the Senate passes it, it goes to the Governor to sign into Law. Maybe sometime next year! ?

#5 ·
NorthernRider,
Just for clarification, this wasn’t a Law Enforcements pamphlet, it was something you can get from your DMV, any Police/Sheriff’s office or vehicle registration office.
I just found it interesting and thought I’d share it with y’all. Now I as an LEO have to know the laws, however traffic laws change all the time for us. In order to get your motor endorsement on your drivers license, you have to pass a written test, and driving test. The written for me was the most difficult.

#9 ·
NorthernRider,
Just for clarification, this wasn’t a Law Enforcements pamphlet, it was something you can get from your DMV, any Police/Sheriff’s office or vehicle registration office.
I just found it interesting and thought I’d share it with y’all. Now I as an LEO have to know the laws, however traffic laws change all the time for us. In order to get your motor endorsement on your drivers license, you have to pass a written test, and driving test. The written for me was the most difficult.

No worries Keith. I just assumed with you being an LEO you'd have a better understanding of the light laws, etc without looking them up.

#6 ·
I think @JimCanaday nailed the OH requirements. The state has a number that riders can call if their cycle will not register on the trip wires at lights. I always get a little nervous when going through lights even after I have sat through a cycle...I know you LEO's are on a quota system and I will be dammed if I am going to be the one who gets you your free toaster for the most tickets in a month...;)

#10 ·
Since seeing this post i have tried to look up laws which were hard for me to find. Some additional WI laws. Handle bars can not be more that 30" above seat. No passenger min age. With temps you have to wear a helmet and can only drive during daylight hours. Anyone under 18 must rear helmet. Must have 1 mirror. I was wrong can go thru light after 45 seconds. Couldn't find anything on plates. Wisconsin doesn't give out toasters

#14 ·
No problem NorthernRider, with laws changing every six months or so, I still like to follow up on them. I picked up the pamphlet to see if I missed anything for reference. I pass the information along to people that I know are interested in learning to ride.
In fact, Monica’s middle sons girlfriend wants to learn to ride by spring. I pass the information along to her as well.
Besides, it’s interesting to see what other states allow. Last time I was home in SoCal, I found out that my triple whammy kit was illegal there.

#15 ·
Here's a few laws from Texas, yes we have laws down here.

All riders under the age of 21 are required to wear a helmet when operating a motorcycle. Riders over 21 may ride without a helmet only if they have completed a safety course or are covered by an applicable insurance plan.

According to the Texas Transportation Code, lane splitting is illegal in the state of Texas and may result in a ticket or fine.

Any passenger on your motorcycle must be at least five years of age. Any passenger between the ages of five and 21 must wear a helmet when on the motorcycle.

No handlebar height restrictions.

Turn signals not required.

One mirror.

MUFFLERS | DECIBEL LIMITATIONS
Texas currently has no statutes regarding mufflers/exhaust decibels.

Reactions: Keith Post
#17 ·
comparative charts and maps of the main motorcycle laws in every state:

Here's a few laws from Texas, yes we have laws down here.
According to the Texas Transportation Code, lane splitting is illegal in the state of Texas and may result in a ticket or fine.
No handlebar height restrictions.
Turn signals not required.
are you sure? there's no mention of "split", "filter", or "share" in that code, and i think there's no actual law specifically prohibiting it in Texas, but like most other states you can still be cited. and this source says Texas does have handlebar height restrictions and turn signals are mandatory: https://www.lawtigers.com/texas-law/

#16 ·
In California you must a U.S.D.O.T. helmet, Lane splitting is not illegal, Handlebar height not more than six inches above the shoulders, Diamond lanes ok, At least one mirror, Headlight modulators are permitted except at night, Noise I believe is at 80 db. This is copied from the Ca motorcycle handbook.
Non-U.S. DOT compliant helmets may be referred to as novelty helmets, rain bonnets, lids, loophole lids, beanies, or brain buckets. Loophole lids?????

#18 ·
I looked up the laws in South Carolina:

• South Carolina doesn’t require motorcycle drivers or passengers who are 21 or older to wear helmets. People under 21 must wear helmets. The helmets must be approved by the Department of Public Safety, must have a neck or chin strap, and have reflectors on both sides [I wasn't aware of this]. If leaving the state, be aware that North Carolina and Georgia have helmet laws for adults, so check with a lawyer in those states if you need to know the exact requirements. People under 21 must also wear goggles or face screens unless the motorcycle has a wind screen approved by the Department of Public Safety.
  • You can only ride while sitting upon the permanent, regular seat.
  • To carry a passenger, you must have a motorcycle designed for a passenger, and the passenger can only ride on a permanent, regular seat designed for 2 people, or upon another seat firmly attached to the rear or side of the driver. Unless the passenger is in a sidecar or enclosed cab, the motorcycle must have footrests for the passenger.
  • You must ride facing forward with one leg on each side of the bike.
  • You can’t carry a package, bag, or other item that will prevent you from keeping both hands on the handlebars.
  • You can’t carry a passenger in a position that interferes with your control or view.
  • A motorcycle can’t pass a vehicle in the same lane occupied by that vehicle.
  • You are entitled to the full use of your lane, and it is a traffic violation for another vehicle to deprive you full use of your lane.
  • You can’t ride between lanes or between adjacent rows of vehicles. Don’t cut!
  • If you are riding with others, you can only ride 2 bikes wide in a lane.
  • You can’t attach yourself or your bike, or hold onto, another bike or vehicle on the road.
  • The motorcycle must have a rear view mirror with good view of what’s behind.
  • You must keep your headlights on.

The super-secret stoplight rule: If you come to a red light, after being at a full and complete stop for at least 120 seconds, you may proceed through the red light as if it were a stop sign. This law is found in the South Carolina Code of Laws, Section 56-5-970(c)(5). Be careful if you use this law, as anyone coming from other directions likely have a green light and won’t be looking out for you. Plus, there’s a chance that a police officer sees you but disagrees with your timing of the 120 seconds.

#19 ·
Glad you started this discussion. Had no idea you could drive thru red light if sensors do not pick you up. Started looking in state NC and found we have that law as well. Never head a clue. You have to be stopped at least 3 minutes but then can proceed with caution.

#20 ·
Reactions: bevo1981
#23 ·
there is only one law you need to follow:

Ride as if you and your motorcycle are invisible

and you will stay alive

#25 ·
Since I live in Kansas but work in Missouri I have to abide by the more strict of the two in any instance.
Kansas is pretty lax
18 and under wear a helmet
Headlights on at all times must have turn signals unless older than 1980s ish
Left side mirror required
Eye protection, unless you have a windshield at least 10 inches high when measured from the center of the handlebars
Couldn't find anything about modulating headlights
If you are riding on the bike you must have pegs or boards
No lane splitting

Missouri also lax
Requires a helmet at all times, period.
Two mirrors
Headlights on at all times
Modulating headlight permitted
Handle bar height maximum of 15″ above seat
No lane splitting

#28 ·
In CA,

• Helmets are required. No other apparel or windshield or eye protection is required. Helmets must be USDOT rated.
  • Licenses are M1 or M2. M1 can ride any size bike. M2 is scooters, mopeds, and electric bicycles. Class C (normal automobile license) can ride motorcycle with side car or other 3 wheeled motorcycles.
  • A written test and a skills test is required, but if you take a certified skills class, and they issue you a DL 389, the DMV skills test "may" be waived. Not sure what or who determines that waiver, but it is probably a given.
  • MC can ride in Carpool or HOV lanes as a single rider, but must enter/exit the lane in designated locations just like cars. (I violate that last part with reckless abandon)
  • Lane splitting is legal. No law prevents it, but CHP recommends you travel no more than 10 MPH faster than other traffic. (I don't like doing it, but I have in stop and go situations) I mostly avoid creeping up between lanes at a traffic light. I don't like being the first into an intersection.
  • Motorcycles towing trailers are limited to 55 MPH, just like any other vehicle while towing. Lane restrictions while towing are also the same as for cars/trucks.
  • There are no restrictions on how old a child must be as a passenger, but their feet must be on foot rests, which in practice tends to limit the ages. Child helmets must also be USDOT approved.
Surprisingly, commie CA doesn't have many special regulations for motorcycles, beyond the normal car/truck stuff. No inspections for motorcycles. No smog checks for motorcycles. The DMV regulation pamphlet is filled to the brim with recommendations about riding, but little of it is required. I had to take the written test (computer based, so not really written) this year to renew my M1 license, which I've had for nearly 40 years. When I went in to get my RealID upgrade they sprung that little surprise on me. I failed it the first time, passed the second try which was offered immediately. Just like the pamphlet, the test was full of best practices stuff, not legalities. I had not reviewed the pamphlet. For example, diagrams of 3 motorcycle riders traveling in staggered formation within a lane, which guy passes first, where does he end his pass within his lane? And several more similar questions. That test has definitely changed since last time I looked at one. Good stuff to know for sure, but I'm not sure it should be part of a drivers license test. Should that be about rules and regulations? It was a lot harder than the class C license, which I also had to take at the same time, and about twice as many questions.

#29 ·
Up here in MI, helmet rules are rather specific:
  • Michigan law now allows motorcyclists to decide for themselves, if certain conditions are met, whether or not to wear a helmet. To legally not wear a helmet, a motorcycle operator must:
    Be at least 21 years old.
    Have at least $20,000 in first-party medical benefits.
    Have held a motorcycle endorsement for at least two years, or have passed an approved motorcycle safety course.
The law also allows for motorcycle passengers to not wear a helmet. Passengers also may not wear a helmet as long as they:
  • Be at least 21 years old.
  • Have at least $20,000 in first-party medical benefits insurance in addition to the insurance that is required of the motorcycle operator.
A person younger than 21 years old still must wear a helmet approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation when operating or riding on a motorcycle. The requirement that an individual younger than 19 years old must wear a helmet if operating a moped on a public roadway is unchanged.

For eye/face protection, the wording is a little odd.
Use shatterproof goggles, a face shield, or windshield to protect your eyes when riding at speeds of 35 mph or more. Eye protection is recommended when riding at any speed.

Nothing specific on lane splitting, not seeing anything on dB rating for exhaust. Can't find anything about triple whammy or modulated headlights or license plate positioning. Same with red light sensors.

Handlebars:
Your motorcycle handlebars must be positioned so that there are no more than 15 inches between the lowest point of the (unoccupied) seat to the highest point of the handle grips.

#30 ·
Several mentions of weight senors at stop lights. I find that very unlikely, but I could be wrong. They have been capacitive for as long as I've been driving. Weight of the vehicle does matter though, because more metal is better, especially ferrous. The sensors have improved over time.

Pretty sure CA does not have a timeout freebie. And plenty of sensors won't see my 1100. If cops see you sit for a couple of cycles of the light, it's unlikely they would gig you.

#31 ·
It is interesting about the stop lights, I couldn't find anything but my in-law that serves said he wouldn't do anything unless you were "being annoying" while you drove away. I used to have a lot of trouble on my Vulcan 800 but 4 little rare earth magnets from the homely depot slapped on the bottom of the frame fixed that issue.

#34 · (Edited)
another way to deal with a sensored traffic light is to make a right on red, then an immediate U turn...

besides... if you are just sitting there with no cars as far as you can see, there are no police cars either...

Where I live I noticed before 6AM the intersections are triggered both ways, and both streets default to red lights

when it detects an approaching vehicle it turns green in that direction - really slick - can ride all the way to work and get all green lights in a car if there is no other traffic

but my 650 does not trigger them, so I have to stop at every intersection for the red light, and then run it.

not sure if the Royal Star will be detected, I use the 650 for commuting.

#42 ·
but my 650 does not trigger them, so I have to stop at every intersection for the red light, and then run it.
We must have newer sensors 'round here, since I'm always detected on the 950 but I do remember missing a light cycle once or twice on the 650. I rolled it backward and forward and cross-ways in my lane a couple of times and got lucky. It actually sensed me. I would have just run it, but I was on a small cross street stopped at a heavily traveled 6 lane street.

I'll run a red in a heartbeat if I think I haven't been sensed. (Incensed?) Of course, I'll do the same late at night. Anytime I'm sitting alone at a red with no vehicles in sight, I'll consider running it and I frequently do. After a full stop, feet on the ground. I feel like an idiot stopped and all alone in the world because the light's red. It's there for my protection, but I'm the master of my fate and the captain of my soul. Or something that sounds like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.