Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to do a fairing with a stereo and some 6x9's. I was curious if anyone has had any power issues from the stock power system in their v-star? (2003 1100 Silverado )

and if anyone has a stereo, how does your deck, assuming its probably a 50wx4 or similar, perfrom as far as sound quality at highway speeds? i know there isnt going to be much bass, but maybe some punch?

and lastly, has anyone installed a stereo in a fairing, and added an amp?

my biggest concern is that the 1100's stator/rectifier put out enough power to handle all of that? i hear that it doesn't, but i know lots of people have fairings with stereos, and ive even seen some with amps. i have LED's for bulbs on my headlight and passing lamps, so im saving a few watts there...

im trying to avoid having to spend an extra $300 to get a after markets Stator and Rectifier. thats a pretty penny to do that. i can get a fairing and stereo for $600... adding $300 more for a new stator/rectifier kinda sucks...

·
Registered
28 Posts
i spoke with a guy at a local store where bikers like to hangout who had a 650, had a full fairing with 6x9s on it and a pyle waterproof stereo, and he said he could hear it over stock pipes on the interstate, but not with his short pipes. i have a 650 and when i idle i can see my headlight slightly dim if i use my brake light. and i assume it would be the same way, but once at any speed higher than idle i think it would be fine

·
Registered
65 Posts
I added a fairing with stereo & 4 speakers. I haven't noticed any issues with power running everything. Sony stereo is rated 4 x 40W (i think) and no amp installed. At highway speed, it is hard to hear but we have cobra speedster slash cut dual pipes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 1300 and full pipes. I have a Boss MCBK470B and I can hear it at highway speeds over my Cobra pipes. I haven't had any charging issues and I've played it during trips where I traveled just over 1000 miles a day while also charging my cell phone that was being used as a MP3 player and GPS. My system has the Boss amp but you can't go by the wattage ratings for Boss stereos but it is LOUD.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts