Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 09 950, when I start riding, the throttle operates correctly, with the throttle returning to idle. After the riding for a while (when the bike warms up), the throttle will not return to idle when let go. It will stay where I left it when I took my hand off the throttle. This has just started happening the last several times that I have had the bike out.
I have checked the forum for past threads on this topic and they talk about the cables needing lubed. Since I have never lubed them, do you think that could be my problem?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Yup...............

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the bike getting to be 7 yrs old, do you think it would be wise to replace them or lube them and let them go another year or two?
I have purchased a new handlebar (10' buckhorn) and am thinking of installing that very soon.
I have checked the exterior of the throttle cables and they look good with no abrasions or bad marks.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
On my 09 950, when I start riding, the throttle operates correctly, with the throttle returning to idle. After the riding for a while (when the bike warms up), the throttle will not return to idle when let go. It will stay where I left it when I took my hand off the throttle. This has just started happening the last several times that I have had the bike out.
I have checked the forum for past threads on this topic and they talk about the cables needing lubed. Since I have never lubed them, do you think that could be my problem?
spray some penetrating oil up into where cable enters the throttle it will work it way down

·
Registered
16 Posts
With the bike getting to be 7 yrs old, do you think it would be wise to replace them or lube them and let them go another year or two?
I have purchased a new handlebar (10' buckhorn) and am thinking of installing that very soon.
I have checked the exterior of the throttle cables and they look good with no abrasions or bad marks.
also might want to check how tight/loose your cable is. I just replaced all my cables due to getting 12" ape hangers, and after install them, it was sticking. turns out my throttle line was to tight and was rubbing against the housing, I loosened it up half a turn and voila! good luck!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreiate all the advice. I am going to lube the cables like recommended and see where that leads me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts