Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use one of these? I bought one today. If was shipped for free to the nearest truck depot to me and I had to go pick it up. Comes fully assembled. Not sure if I will use it much but it will be there if needed. Seems to be very well made and put together. Should be super simple to load and unload with no help. It's rated for 80 MPH extended highway.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
very nice

one of the weak links of riding a motorcycle, something as simple as a nail in the road can ruin your roadtrip, cant just pull to the curb and put on the spare

Uhaul has motorcycle trailers that you can rent. Only problem for me is I drove my last car with a trailer hitch to the scrap yard in January, so right now I dont have a motorcycle breakdown rescue plan. My royal star has tubeless tires, so there is a chance a plug and some air might fix a flat, but my 650 has tubes.

When other riders in your area find out you have a MC trailer, you are going to have a lot of new best friends.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Years ago. I had an HD calendar in the back it had a place for phone #'s it was Bro, Bro, Bro, Bro with truck. Look into your insurance roadside assistance. But that looks like a nice trailer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to mention that it folds up to approx 3.5 x 3.5 feet also.

I will be field testing it when I go pick up my bike in about a month, or sooner if the weather allows. Still full bore sled season right now.

I will give a review on how she rides.

This is an older picture of one before they changed the coupler to a standard 2" ball.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
the stressful thing about putting a motorcycle on a trailer or a truck is strapping it down

you need to use ratcheting straps and pull them tight enough to at least partially compress the suspension. If you dont, the first good bump or whoopDeeDoo you hit, the bike will push down on its suspension (like it does when you ride it) and all the straps will go slack. If they unhook or move when that happens the bike falls over.

The other thing is dont put the straps on the ends of the handlebars, that is too much force on the ends, and they can bend or give.

Ive seen a lot of motorcycles on craigslist with damage from falling over during transport... it happens a lot.

the bike and trailer must become 'one'

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
the stressful thing about putting a motorcycle on a trailer or a truck is strapping it down

you need to use ratcheting straps and pull them tight enough to at least partially compress the suspension. If you dont, the first good bump or whoopDeeDoo you hit, the bike will push down on its suspension (like it does when you ride it) and all the straps will go slack. If they unhook or move when that happens the bike falls over.

The other thing is dont put the straps on the ends of the handlebars, that is too much force on the ends, and they can bend or give.

Ive seen a lot of motorcycles on craigslist with damage from falling over during transport... it happens a lot.

the bike and trailer must become 'one'
For this type of trailer the manufacturer recommends not compressing the forks. Wrap a Soft Strap around the front wheel axle (on both sides of course) between the fork and axle and then attach to the tie down points with your straps which are forward. This pulls the bike into and against the chock securely. This way the bike suspension works normally over bumps without the straps bouncing up and down putting stress on the suspension. Because it is a rail system, the rear can be secured with only light compression on each side for stability.

Watch this video for Strapping down a bike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts