Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning all. My air cleaner on my 1100 is starting to bubble as in the cheap plastic chrome is about toast. I have found some on ebay kinda cheap but also found some of the speedstar ones at a reasonable cost. Not a fan of the spike air cleaners that are dirt cheap and the jetting for pod's is not something i want to do right now.

Considering I already invested into a k&n filter for my stock air cleaner is the speedstar one worth getting or should I just get another dog bowl? is there any real "performance" gains from the speedstar one or does it just look cool? I was going to get one when i got my bike in 08 but decided just to get a k&n.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Only gains will be found with pods. You could paint yours ?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only gains will be found with pods. You could paint yours ?
I was thinking about painting but some of the chrome is stuck on still was not sure if the effort to peel off with a heat gun would be worth it

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would rather spend $ 4 on a can of paint then anything else provided there are no gains either way.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Good Morning all. My air cleaner on my 1100 is starting to bubble as in the cheap plastic chrome is about toast. I have found some on ebay kinda cheap but also found some of the speedstar ones at a reasonable cost. Not a fan of the spike air cleaners that are dirt cheap and the jetting for pod's is not something i want to do right now.

Considering I already invested into a k&n filter for my stock air cleaner is the speedstar one worth getting or should I just get another dog bowl? is there any real "performance" gains from the speedstar one or does it just look cool? I was going to get one when i got my bike in 08 but decided just to get a k&n.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xvstar1100+air+cleaner+housing.TRS0&_nkw=vstar1100+air+cleaner+housing&_sacat=0 no bids yet 20.00

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I may have one....if you remind me at the end of the week when I'm back home to look....I will do that. It'll be yours for the price of shipping if it's there. I may even have 2.....

I painted and striped a few of them back in the day for customers and should have a couple left over.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may have one....if you remind me at the end of the week when I'm back home to look....I will do that. It'll be yours for the price of shipping if it's there. I may even have 2.....

I painted and striped a few of them back in the day for customers and should have a couple left over.
Thanks For the offer! :) Im going to try oven cleaner trick see if it works for me if not i know who to ask.

Kinda disappointed the the "speedstar" clear is all show and no go. admittedly they still look cool as heck.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Thanks For the offer! :) Im going to try oven cleaner trick see if it works for me if not i know who to ask.

Kinda disappointed the the "speedstar" clear is all show and no go. admittedly they still look cool as heck.
after the chrome is removed. i bet it could be polished and might not need painting

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Unfortunately, it's all dark gray plastic under the chrome. Don't think polishing would accomplish a whole lot.

Fortunately the chrome peels off fairly easily once you get it started. Peel what you can, let it sit a day or so and peel some more. the more you peel, the more it start lifting off at the edges. I did a dozen or more years ago so I could be sure the paint would stick.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
some people like chrome and i'm one of em. probably because i'm old school, i even like the retro look of spokes

Yup me too! Chrome wont get you home but at least it looks cool on the side of the road lol. I would love spokes ive been looking at the American wire offerings for my front wheel. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts