Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Can the stock muffler on a roadliner be modified to make it louder
Yes, no, maybe, not really....

The stock muff on the strat/rodie is not 'serviceable' like most other exhausts. You cannot remove baffles, gut them easily etc.

The exhaust is a welded unit and contains the baffles and a form of catalytic converter.

I have heard of some people digging in the output side and drilling holes but the end result is a mixed review in regards to sound quality.

Aftermarket slip-ons can be bought between 300 and 500. IMO, the lesser expensive ones have less expensive chrome...

Most people claim that aftermarket slip-ons only add sound but the performance is lessened. From what I have read and understand from the ones that have swapped the exhaust, the factory has given the best performance overall.

IMO, if you are not into the performance and just want a bit meaner sound, buy a quality slip-on and keep the factor muffler around in the case you get tired of your ears ringing.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
522 Posts
No problem.

Keep in mind that some of the info I shared is opinionated except for the serviceability of the factory exhaust.

Some people will chime in soon about how their slip-on gave them 674 more horse power and 895 more foot pounds of torque..but keep in mind that 99% of bike riders never dyno their bikes before and after any tuning....that goes for cars and trucks too.

We called that the 'ear drum dyno' back in my pro shop days..if you make it sound badass it must be.

But like I said, if you dont care about performance gains or even a small loss and just want a good sound; a slip on will probably be your best bet.

Also, there is a very inexpensive slip on that has been showing up lately and from what I have seen, people have ordered one and it never shows up. The manufacturer keeps sending out excuses about fitment issues...There was a thread on this recently, if anyone can remember who that was, might want to chime in so the OP avoids that manufacturer.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hey there Biggen - let me know if your interested in a D& D slip on. Will be swapping my out so if your interested, let me know.

·
Registered
91 Posts
IMO, if you are not into the performance and just want a bit meaner sound, buy a quality slip-on and keep the factor muffler around in the case you get tired of your ears ringing.
I will add, the D&D or any after market slip-on will only be louder when you open the throttle due to the EXup valve. I have had my D&D on and off a few times. It only takes a few minutes to change it. The thing is, I like the deep tone of the stock can. The D&D is louder but less deep sounding. You will need to re-map with anything other than stock can. Its a personal choice but, I also like the looks of the factory can better than after market ones.

The original question: "Can the stock muffler on a roadliner be modified to make it louder".

I think the answer is yes. Ride it hard and over time it seams to get louder. I don't know but it seams that Yamaha may have put some glass packing in there to get it DOT approved knowing that it will burn out and the can get louder. It just seams that way or my ear drum dyno is failing me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
How many miles are on you Liner? My exhaust didn't loosen up until right around 5000 miles. It's getting better and better as time goes on.

I'm right at 8000 now and it's roaring pretty good. If you want more than that, slipons or new exhaust may be your only route.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts