Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been put out there. Who has drilled out the baffles in their stock exhaust? Does it help any? Does it sound any better or louder than spending $500 on slip-on's?

Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
On which bike? I did a 1/4 inch slot around half the last baffle and put a 3/8 hole in the bottom center of it. Made it sound much better and the air was perfect to put the spark plugs burning perfect brown in color.......This was on a V Star 650 classic

·
Registered
8 Posts
Kinda like JSpree said, I drilled a hole through the restriction plates on my 2013 Vulcan Voyager and while it did give it a slightly better sound, it still wasn't what I was looking for. I ended up forking out the cash for Vance and Hines slash cut pipes, and, honestly over time they've gotten too loud for me especially when I'm towing a trailer.

Not my video, but here's an example of difference in sound on the stock Voyager pipes before and after the baffles were drilled.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Hey Guys, this thread is for “Venture & Eluder” so WHY are we getting V-Star, Vulcan, etc??
Please put these convos in the appropriate thread.
If it has to do with Venture & Eluder then it belongs here.
Thank you!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I know this has been put out there. Who has drilled out the baffles in their stock exhaust? Does it help any? Does it sound any better or louder than spending $500 on slip-on's?

Thanks
If you’re dealing with a Star Venture or Eluder, and your bike is relatively “new”; or less than 5k miles, I suggest you wait.
The pipes on this bike “burn in” after that time and the sound becomes louder and deeper. It’s actually very nice. I’d wait until I know what the mature sound is before modifying unless you WANT real loud pipes like a HD.
I had considered drilling out the baffle plug myself but am glad I waited. The sound right now is very nice and noticeable without being a constant drone.
Just my 2 cents over 30k miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Guys, this thread is for “Venture & Eluder” so WHY are we getting V-Star, Vulcan, etc??
Thank you!
I don't doubt that the SV sounds different than a v-star or a vulcan, but
  • It was a more generic question about the exhaust
  • Nobody's had actually posted a useful response specific to the SV, or given any response in a week
  • there's some level of expectation that can be derived from the results others have had with big V-Twins, regardless of make/model
  • in my case, I don't have the exact bike to compare, but I can at least share my experience both with drilling out baffles and slip-ons
I'm not here to be a troll. I'm here like I hope everyone else is to share my love of being on two wheels and share my experiences whatever they might be, and hopefully stay mostly on topic.

That said, Chief, you're exactly right. It sounds (no pun intended) that your stock pipes did exactly like my V&H pipes over a few thousand miles and got louder. Unless the OP is looking for really loud, I'd agree and say stick with stock for a few more thousand miles before making a decision.

Take care and keep the shiny side up :)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Thank you!
I don't doubt that the SV sounds different than a v-star or a vulcan, but
  • It was a more generic question about the exhaust
  • Nobody's had actually posted a useful response specific to the SV, or given any response in a week
  • there's some level of expectation that can be derived from the results others have had with big V-Twins, regardless of make/model
  • in my case, I don't have the exact bike to compare, but I can at least share my experience both with drilling out baffles and slip-ons
I'm not here to be a troll. I'm here like I hope everyone else is to share my love of being on two wheels and share my experiences whatever they might be, and hopefully stay mostly on topic.

That said, Chief, you're exactly right. It sounds (no pun intended) that your stock pipes did exactly like my V&H pipes over a few thousand miles and got louder. Unless the OP is looking for really loud, I'd agree and say stick with stock for a few more thousand miles before making a decision.

Take care and keep the shiny side up /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
Thanks for posting @Kevin White , my pipes are significantly louder than when I first bought the bike and I haven’t modded them at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts