Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2006 RSTD. It came with Bub mufflers (slip-ons) and the original owner threw in the stock mufflers. I started to put the stock mufflers back on the bike this morning and found that the stock muffler has a larger opening around the header pipe than the Bub's. There is really too much of a gap to even tighten the stock muffler onto the header pipe. I tried to tighten the muffler clamp but I thought I might screw up the opening of the muffler. I suspect that there was a shim or spacer that was thrown away when the Bub's were installed. I don't have a service manual so I can't look it up.

Do any of you know if there is shim/sleeve/spacer that fits on the header pipe, that the muffler clamps down on?

Thanks,
Davo

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, figured it out. There are muffler gaskets and they run about $40/pair. They are a "one use" item. Unfortunately, the stock mufflers more quiet than the Bub's but they are more loud than I hoped. I didn't check to see if the PO had drilled them out before installation. Oh well, the situation is improved anyway. I also noticed a stronger gas smell in my garage when running the bike. I suspect the PO had the carb's rejetted when he installed the bub's. I'll have to check on that.

Davo

1 - 3 of 3 Posts