Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of riders buy into the whole loud pipes save lives BS, I don't. People listen to music, talk on their cell phone, etc., having loud pipes won't save you from people being bad drivers.

The way the stock Roadliner is quiet while in idle is one of the things I really love about it. That and the look is beautiful. Then there is the performance you get out of having the EXUP Valve. For me, whenever I see aftermarket pipes on a Roadliner or Stratoliner it makes me cringe a little. Leave the straight pipes for the Harley guys.

Yeah I might catch some flack for this, but it is my opinion. The Roadliner was tuned perfectly so, keeping the pipe stock is important. But the devils advocate part of me knows we all have to make our bikes our own, but I still feel it takes too much away from it. I was very sad when Yamaha discontinued the line.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i prefer aftermarket purely for looks and sound in general and added bonus is performance :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
I like noise. But i also like to be able to hear myself think. With the 650 turning higher rpms on the highways i wouldn't mind if my v&h still had the baffles in em or were just a touch quieter. On certain bikes stock exhaust looks and sound fine. If mine didn't come with the v&h on it I'm not sure i would have spent the money.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like noise. But i also like to be able to hear myself think. With the 650 turning higher rpms on the highways i wouldn't mind if my v&h still had the baffles in em or were just a touch quieter. On certain bikes stock exhaust looks and sound fine. If mine didn't come with the v&h on it I'm not sure i would have spent the money.
I rarely hear the noise anyways as I wear a full face helmet designed to block the wind. I also have a Bluetooth headset connected to my phone for music and navigation. Probably doesn't help that I already have a significant hearing loss. Too much time under jet engines and next to speakers at concerts.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would think the same here being a mechanic and listening to air tools all day but even with the radio cranked up and all i can still hear her screamin at 75 all the way to work, lol. Even with my full face i can still hear it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mean its not that I can't hear her at all. You are going to hear an 1854cc engine going 75-80 mph....it's just not obnoxiously loud. What bugs me is when some shitty ass Honda that needs a new muffler or catalytic converter or something, is louder than my bike 4 lanes over and I can hear it a 1/4 mile away. Yet some ambulances and firetrucks are quieter than that with their sirens blaring.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think the stock exhaust sounds pretty damn good. About the only thing I would ever do is add a slip on to make it lighter, that would be the only reason. But my thoughts are to probably just leave it stock.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the stock exhaust sounds pretty damn good. About the only thing I would ever do is add a slip on to make it lighter, that would be the only reason. But my thoughts are to probably just leave it stock.
I can agree to that. For example, I commute 50 miles round trip when I go to the office, I leave my apt by 7am. I also love to ride at night and sometimes leave after 10pm and get home after 3am.

I live in an apartment complex with an attached parking garage and park on the 4th floor as that is where my apt is. I know my neighbors are appreciative of me not having loud pipes. I don't have to sneak in and out, I can just come and go anytime and ride normal. I've asked my neighbor whose bedroom window is about 15 feet or so from where my bike is parked if he can hear me, and he said he has never heard my bike from anywhere in his apt. That's a good thing.

·
Registered
55 Posts

^^^Ditto! When I first got my bike (also a 650), I loved the sound of the V&H short stocks that came on it. Now, I wouldn't mind if it was a tad quieter. Today, I was considering picking up some ear plugs. Maybe it's because I've recently been sick?...but I've noticed my ear, mostly right side only, seems super sensitive to the loud pipes, even with my full face helmet.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've noticed that with my full face i hear more buzzy ness from the exhaust while the half helmet there's no buzzy ness. Like whatever pitch it is just vibrates or rattles inside the full face, lol. I just tend to turn the music up a bit more on the highway. I still have the baffles but the previous owner cut them in half so they don't make much difference, would like to wrap part of that half baffle and see what it sounds like tho.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Immortal,

I have to agree in so many ways, and disagree in others.
My '07 Stratoliner, I bought in part because of it's retro styling. I see cues in the exhaust from some old Biplanes. I see Art Deco. I see quality trim work, and attention to style. These bikes have a wonderful deep throaty sound and respectable performance right out of the box.

At the same time, here in the city I have many times had people come into my lane because they don't know I am there. Yes they should look. But often times they don't, other times I may over take their speed and may appear from nowhere. It happens all the time.
I am a person that whether I am walking on a sidewalk, driving my car, sitting at a ball game. Where ever I am at, I try hard to pay close attention to the world around me. I have many times avoided crashes or being run over, seen a couple in the car next to me add spice to their lives, and avoided a baseball bat that went flying into the crowd.
But still, it freaks me out when as careful as I am, there has been times I nearly went to a lane and there was a bike there. I try to apologize strongly but we all act the same. We have just been assaulted by a 4000 lb. weapon. Many out there don't pay any attention, others do. But at times we go unseen, unheard.
I recall going to work and hearing the loud distinctive sound of a V twin with loud pipes. Even feeling the vibrations in my car. I knew he was there, could not see him, but knew he was there and exercised caution until I have seen him.
I recall riding with my stock pipe and I had to really step up my defensive driving because no one knew I was there. Then one day I rode my sons Honda VTX, 1300, with a Vance and Hines 2 into 1 with no baffles. People knew I was there a block away. They could hear me over their radios, and road noise. They would look and actually give me a break. Still I kept my stock pipe.
Then one day the wife came home in tears. She nearly ran a biker into the center wall because she had no idea he was there. "I don't like it, but we're putting a loud pipe on the Stratoliner !"
I pulled up beside a Stratoliner with my Tahoe the other day and I still love the style and sound of the stock pipe. But I have felt safer and had better experiences since my pipe has been installed. That said, I still have my old pipe with full intentions to replacing it if I move from the city, which I do plan to do.
Pros for the after market pipe- The performance stepped up as we all know. Yes there is a noise factor that I believe helps in safety.
Cons- The noise, the popping on slow down, You ride harder and make a nuisance of yourself. It must be tuned and rarely good enough. The noise covers up other sounds.

What it comes down too. You make your bike your own for your reasons. Right, wrong, indifferent. Everyone as individuals makes a choice. I know I will never ride on the right side of my son because of the noise. It's waaay too loud even with a full face Shoei helmet. So I ride on his left always. I know when the time is right I will go back to stock pipe. But for me, right now, advantage my aftermarket pipe. Don't like it, but it's there. As soon as the advantage is gone,...so is the pipe.
There I am. Right smack dab in the middle of the road !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts