Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I had this great idea of making my own straight pipes on my 2002 1100 V-Star classic. I used the stock head pipes and tried to make slip on by using two chrome tail pipe extensions 2 1/8" od x 9" long (I want them longer but 9" was the longest I could find). I used a exhaust adapter 2" od x 1 5/8" id plus a 1 1/2"x 2" long pipe. That was the smallest id I cloud find from the auto part store. Then I thought that I should create some back pressure by taking a 2 1/8" freeze plug and drilling a 3/8" hole in the middle of the freeze plug then 8 - 1/4" holes around the out side of the 3/8" hole. With a little sand in the 1 1/2 pipe

Epic fail! I cut slots in the 1 1/2 pipe to slip on the head pipe so I could clamp it on. Could not find any good clamps, had to make a spacer for the id difference id and od of pipe and head pipe. Had exhaust leaks from where I clamped it. Need to rethink. And yes I'm that cheap.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey all, I had this great idea of making my own straight pipes on my 2002 1100 V-Star classic. I used the stock head pipes and tried to make slip on by using two chrome tail pipe extensions 2 1/8" od x 9" long (I want them longer but 9" was the longest I could find). I used a exhaust adapter 2" od x 1 5/8" id plus a 1 1/2"x 2" long pipe. That was the smallest id I cloud find from the auto part store. Then I thought that I should create some back pressure by taking a 2 1/8" freeze plug and drilling a 3/8" hole in the middle of the freeze plug then 8 - 1/4" holes around the out side of the 3/8" hole. With a little sand in the 1 1/2 pipe

Epic fail! I cut slots in the 1 1/2 pipe to slip on the head pipe so I could clamp it on. Could not find any good clamps, had to make a spacer for the id difference id and od of pipe and head pipe. Had exhaust leaks from where I clamped it. Need to rethink. And yes I'm that cheap.
Nothing wrong with being cheap ive had that idea before. The parts stores use to sell maybe still do glass pack lined exh tips I've seen some 12 inches long. It's basically the same thing as my cobra slip on's maybe slightly larger ID. Not sure if the freeze plug drilled would be required the gasses will slow once they enter the larger chamber and create some back pressure there but not a lot. Rtv silicone will work wonders for leak as long as its the kind that dries not the blue. Keep us posted

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Just a thought for ya...if you found a set of OE head pipes online cheap could you cut the straight sections off and add that to the end of your pipes some how?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Why the straight pipe? Ive always found the sound kinda sharp. Id rather it had a duller thump.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Why the straight pipe? Ive always found the sound kinda sharp. Id rather it had a duller thump.
Tried em on my 99 Victory. Rode 10 miles, turned around,came home and put the stage 1's back on. It was obnoxious and the low end torque (one of this bikes fine characteristics) was gone.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You could try an exhaust band clamp and some sealer...

you can also create some back pressure this way....

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/exhaust.htm

Also, torque cones designed for a shovel head should fit the stock exhaust head pipes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Any update on the progress? I've seen The tq cones before was sad my shovel head had straight Pipes had to use Vance and Hines baffles when I got the bike. I miss the loud potato potato hit the gas and watch small children run sound but damn the baffles added some power down low

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would weld the extensions on so you have no leaks and just make you some lolly pop baffles or buy a set of Thunder Monster baffles, that should give you back the torque you lost. I have Morton Executioners on my Warrior and i lost some torque being they are straight pipes. I made some baffles just like the Thunder Monster baffles and installed them and now i have all or most of my torque back, so they do work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts