Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Last night I was riding my 2004 650 and everything was going smooth as usual. I pulled up to a restaurant to meet some friends and the bike stalled as I was pulling into a parking space. I started the bike back up and it struggled then finally started I let it run for a few mins and went inside. When I was leaving the bike would not start at all.

It's pretty much doing this:

I pulled the battery and got it tested and the battery was fine. I picked up some new spark plugs and put them on the bike and it still will not start. I'm not sure what else to try, I'm going to get it towed back to my house today. Luckily it's only a few miles away. Any suggestions/tips are welcome if anyone has had this issue before.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
This may be overly simple but it sounds like its out of gas.

Check your fuel system - pull the line to the carbs and see if anything is coming out of the fuel pump when you first turn the key to run (you dont have to crank the starter to power the fuel pump). The fuel pump should run for about 3 seconds when you first turn the key on.

What did the plugs look like? Your exhaust is badly rainbowed - which is a sign of running very rich, or riding the bike with the choke on all the time.

That could also be caused by a very dirty air filter - if it is not white like paper you need a new one.

But to not run at all - you either are getting no fuel, or no spark.

BTW, if your bike does not start in 5 seconds its not going to. I would not keep cranking the starter that long - its not designed for that, it has no cooling.

EDIT: I just realized that is not your bike in the video - its an 1100...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You need three thing for an engine to start. 1) Air 2) Spark 3) Fuel

Make sure air is getting to the carb/throttle body
Make sure you spark from the plugs.
Make sure gas is getting from the tank to carb/throttle body. (clogged or gummed up petcock?)
Make sure all ground wires and other electronic connections are good.

Something that happened to me. Dead fuel pump. Does the 650 have a fuel pump? If yes, check that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips... and yes the bike in the video isn't mine but an example of what my bike is doing.

I forgot to mention I did put a gallon of gas in the bike when I changed the plugs earlier today. I only had 58 miles on a full tank but decided to add some gas just in case. One thing I forgot to mention I noticed a loss in power shortly before exiting to my destination. I didn't think too much about it but then the bike died while parking. I'll check the fuel pump when I get the bike back home. It had no issues starting up and I was riding all day yesterday.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
The 650 has a fuel pump because the bottom of the tank is lower than the float bowls on the carbs. I think if the fuel pump fails it will block the fuel from the tank to the carbs.

But if the tank is nearly full you can by-pass the fuel pump, and it should run pretty well for about the first half of tank of gas.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 650 has a fuel pump because the bottom of the tank is lower than the float bowls on the carbs. I think if the fuel pump fails it will block the fuel from the tank to the carbs.

But if the tank is nearly full you can by-pass the fuel pump, and it should run pretty well for about the first half of tank of gas.
Thanks for the info, that makes sense since I had 58 miles on it when the issues started which would have been more/less the first half a tank of gas. I put another gallon in but I wasn't able to get it started. Once it's back in the garage I'll go through all the steps to locate the issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Easy way to check to make sure fuel us leaving the tank.
Thanks this will definitely help out. I added more fuel to try and bypass the pump if possible but no luck. I'll wait until the bike is home to start going through the steps of determining what's wrong.

I was reading up on the starer clutch issues hopefully it's not that ☹

·
Registered
119 Posts
The starter will just “whiiizzzzzz” if it was the starter clutch. That sounds like the engine is turning but no bueno

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
the starter clutch issue is on the 1100. the starter on the 650 is not made the same way.

if you crank the starter too much and drain the battery down, then the voltage will be too low and the ignition module wont have enough power to fire the spark plugs.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Had a similar issue with another bike a few months ago. Filled it up, got about 30 miles into a ride, had a serious loss of power, then the bike died completely. After sitting for 10 minutes it started again and ran just a few minutes and died again.

I thought it was suspicious that the bike ran fine until I filled it up. Gas freely ran out of the petcock when I pulled the fuel line off, so I replaced the fuel filter and didn't have another problem.

Not sure if I had some water or trash in the gas.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for all the info, the bike is back in my garage and I'll start with the fuel pump and go from there until I find the issue.

EDIT: I turned the bike on and not hearing the fuel pump working I'll have to test it further. The filter also looks very yellow.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
the service manual is available free on line - search for Vstar 650 service manual.

there is a section on debugging the ignition electronics. Other than loose or corroded connectors or ground connections to the frame, I dont think there is a common problem or defect that causes the bike to lose spark.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
the service manual is available free on line - search for Vstar 650 service manual.

there is a section on debugging the ignition electronics. Other than loose or corroded connectors or ground connections to the frame, I dont think there is a common problem or defect that causes the bike to lose spark.
Thanks I'll see what I can find. I pulled each plug and grounded iton the bike then tried to start it. Both plugs showed no spark. I did this is a dark/closed garage to be sure and tried multiple times. I'll grab the manual and see whats next. If I can't debug it off to the shop she goes I guess.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
the starter clutch issue is on the 1100. the starter on the 650 is not made the same way.

if you crank the starter too much and drain the battery down, then the voltage will be too low and the ignition module wont have enough power to fire the spark plugs.
actually the starter clutch (one way bearing ) is used on both the 650 and 1100 but the 650 has a way better built one installed, thicker rollers and races with heavier springs, if the engine rolls backwards it won't crack the bearing race on the 650 like it does on an 1100

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys I finally got the bike into my buddies shop. He told me my tires had some dry rot and recommended changing them. He doesn't sell tires in his shop but offered to mount them for free if I sent them over to his shop. I have the tire sizes down:

Front: 130/90-16
Rear: 170/80-15

He said I would also need tubes with 90 degree angle valves. I'd like to throw some white walls on the bike. Does anyone have recommendations on tires/tubes.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Of the two OEM tires specified for the 650 I like the way the bike rides with the Bridgestone tires better than the Dunlops. The Bridgestone tires are heavier, they have lasted longer on my bike, and they make the bike feel more stable (because of the increased weight on the wheels).

You can get a good price on them at bikebandit.com

I dont know if they come in whitewalls.

If you cant get the best tire possible in a whitewall, then get the best tire possible and forget about the appearance. You cannot see your sidewalls while you are riding, but you will feel the difference between a great tire and a poor one every minute you ride.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey all, so the new tires were mounted and new coils put on the bike. He's getting the correct reading but not a signal to fire . A Yamaha tech is going to my buddies shop tomorrow to see if he can try to get the issue diagnosed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts