Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cruising along about an hour ago, steady throttle; then a snap/ tension pop and the throttle was slack.

I rolled to a corner store and it feels like I'm stuck for the night :crying:

First 2 pics are to illustrate how much slack is in the control.

The Other 2 are hoping someone clues me in on how to take the handle/control off without taking off the master cylinder.

Godda grab my tools and get back out there tonight. ( Can't leave it out where it is over-night)

But first I need a plan, and it's already pretty late...

Thursday I replaced my rear wheel with a Kenda K673 and greased all the 4 points inside the shaft, and the fitting into the engine and the one on the wheel-hub. (In case that matters)

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,458 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Les!

In desperation, at about 1AM I ended up driving the bike home by tugging on the throttle cable from beneath the switch housing.

Got it home took a shower and got the rest I obviously needed.

Today I set to it in my lit garage (compared to dark abandoned storefront in the middle of the county/country) to realize the cables were tied in a manner that obscured the bottom screw on the switch housing... Explains a lot of my confusion in the dark.

So compared to a broken cable, this seems not so bad now; right?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Not clear what exactly broke now, but its pretty rare to hear of anyone breaking a throttle cable.

Have to ask about lubing the drive shaft splines on your 650, what did you use? Only reason I ask is 60% moly is usually not referred to as grease.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The handle broke at the point the cables lock into.

Now I'm trying to source a quick handle so I can ride today/tonight as opposed to waiting till Wednesday at the earliest for a replacement. Seems like all the shops local are closed on Mondays.

I've got an old container of Industrial Molly EP Grease from an old/retired aircraft mechanic.

60% Moly is (for all I know) just special grease for my bike; I don't know anything about it further than that... (Other than it has become hard to come by).

But, I'm here to learn. Thank you Both!

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,458 Posts
I know I complain when things break. Then I'll think about the age and use of an item. The 19 years you got out of the throttle tube is actually amazing, just bad timing. Hope you can find one quickly.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Poop. What brand were those grips? I ask because I have what looks to be the same ones. If that point is a weak spot then that really sucks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No Idea. Just the ones that cam with the bike. I'm not that discerning yet.

Just ordered a new pair from Lord Bezos, should be here tomorrow.

I waited till today cause I gave every shop I could find within 50ish miles a chance, and some/ most of them aren't open on Mondays.

New set should have a much larger cruising paddle on the throttle.

Feel like I should have gotten a second set and keep the spare in my toolbox on the bike.
Stranded is BS. Stranded out late, enjoying the full-moon out in the country...
A good time gone bad real quick.

Why isn't that part metal anyway?

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
only reason I can think for making it plastic, if someone is going to twist it like they want to break it off, then something has to break.

better that than the cables, or the lever on the throttles...

·
Registered
200 Posts
It might have something to do with a metal sleeve rotating on a metal bar. They may grind each other down, have too much friction or fuse together from rust if moisture got in there. I think a metal throttle sleeve might require some sort of lube to prevent those issues. Plastic doesn't have those issue?

just guessing really.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts