Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Ah! I know the image on the dime....Again, I'm not always correct, but if a "high speed" ferry left Portland just before Sunset in August and arrived Yarmouth well after sunrise, then we were on "The Cat" and my father just called it the "Blue Nose" - he bought the tickets...One ride on that big ol' stink pot was enough for me...I remember wondering if the "new" catamaran was a nicer boat... On subsequent trips we sheltered at the Fundy National Park. Those were great rides. felt like a 20 degree lean into the wind on Canso Causeway, just to maintain a straight line! Eyes popping at the sight of what looked like surf coming of the tops of the 18-wheelers coming at us.... I believe I was on my Royal Star, so it would have been around the year 2000.

Rob,
If you throw a 4mm, T handle, hex into your bags, I think the seat removal is fairly easy...I've done it several times trying to chase down antenna issues... (weak FM reception and poor CB Tx.) If you do it a couple times at home, it should be a breeze (lol) on a boat. Especially, if you have a passenger to whom you can pass the screws and the side plates as you remove them.
The Cat was a catamaran and at the time it was brand new, state of the art. I can't remember how long it took but I know it cut the other ferry's time by half or more. It's been gone for several years now though. I often travel to Fundy Park, especially on hot days because the cold water of the Bay of Fundy lowers the temp by sometimes as much as 10C (about 20F). I've never ridden a bike across the Canso Causeway to Cape Breton but I've done it in an 18 wheeler several times and it can get pretty windy.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I run 2 handlebar straps under the front fairing criss crossed careful not to catch the brake lines and pinch them. Then I used the passenger foot pegs. I strapped it to a flatbed trailer on its last journey out of my yard no chock. Don't forget to pop the gas flap to put it in service mode so the alarm does not keep going off.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I run 2 handlebar straps under the front fairing criss crossed careful not to catch the brake lines and pinch them. Then I used the passenger foot pegs. I strapped it to a flatbed trailer on its last journey out of my yard no chock. Don't forget to pop the gas flap to put it in service mode so the alarm does not keep going off.
Ah yes the alarm. Open that gas flap. Also there is a way to put it in service mode so the alarm doesn’t go off. This way you don’t have to keep the gas flap open. I remember reading on this venture Fourm that way to do that, I don’t recall the steps.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ah yes the alarm. Open that gas flap. Also there is a way to put it in service mode so the alarm doesn’t go off. This way you don’t have to keep the gas flap open. I remember reading on this venture Fourm that way to do that, I don’t recall the steps.
Push the unlock button on the tank; flip-up opens; wait for two beeps; close flip-up. You're set until you use the ignition switch or the lock button.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thank you everyone again for your help. I now know how to shut off the alarm which will be great if the boat moves around and I read through everyone' suggestions on tieing down the bike to the ferry deck and went to my local motorcycle custom shop because they trailer a lot of bikes. They agreed given the design of the bike the best way to tie down the front of the bike was to use (I forgot what you call it) but it slips over the grips on the bars and to it you connect the straps provided by the ferry. I have ordered the part.

When it came to the back of the bike he suggested putting the strap provided by the ferry through the rear wheel and then crossing it so the rear wheel is locked in place.

This is what I am going with. I will take a pic when I take my trip in August.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Ah yes the alarm. Open that gas flap. ... or put it in service mode so the alarm doesn’t go off. ..

I can testify from my own actions:

it is human nature, when you see a gas flap open on any vehicle, people will feel compelled to close it

ditto a mail box

and then walk away proud for doing my random good deed for the day

·
Registered
2 Posts
Two ideas. i bought a "Canyon Dancer Bar Harness" from Cycle Gear that goes across the handlebars then I attached my ratchet clamps to that to tie down bike. I don't think this will work on a trailer but might be fine to stabilize a boat ride.

For my trailer tie down I raised the passenger foot pads to their upper mount holes and then put an "eye" bolt in the lower hole. I hope this will serve well baring any emergency maneuvers on the road.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts