Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
The last step is to break the sharp edges with a fine file and sand the edge with 220 grit sandpaper wraped around a long block of wood

Very instructive. I've always wondered what people do to "cut down" their windshields. Could have used the info when I had my Goldwing.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Note in Steps #1 and #2, the most worthless piece of paper I could find was rated "most worthless" due to the HD add.....like you all didn't notice - LOL!
I bet you waited two weeks for that paper:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
That is the perfect height too, and I agree, it fits the lines of the bike better. Nicely done, and great write up w/pics. My brother in law was thinking of doing the same but I was reluctant to assist not really knowing how to go about it. Now I do, and will print this off for him.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Screw all this windshield nonsense. Do what I do take it off and wear a full-face helmet. :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well done. The timing is perfect. Doesn't look that difficult.
I understand you have to go slow to not create heat which melts the plastic? I'll need to trim at least 5" off mine.....if I ever get the bike. Been waiting on accessories to arrive.
I've been debating whether to cut the shield....or order a Rifle replacement. The Rifle is 3-4" wider than stock. Would like to try a shield with a curved lip, ie: ClearView, but they don't make one for the Strat.

·
Registered
122 Posts
So how tall is the new shield? I'm shield shopping this winter, I wear a full face helmet, but I'm realizing that I'm getting a bit tired quicker than I'd like fighting the wind at 70 during my commute for an hour at a time. I'm 6'1, and the strat shield looks too tall by a bunch when I've sat on a bike with the stock shield, so I'm thinking something in the 17 inch height range. I'm guessing that cut puts you around 16/17 inches in height? If that's the case, I'm encouraged that I'm looking for the right height shield.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Realistically, what is the downside of cutting it too low? I don't mind wind blast on my helmet, I wear a full-face. I just hate where it sits right in my line of sight, and creates a lot of buffeting. Sucks that it isn't adjustable at all, especially for the $$$$$ it cost! (Mine is a roadliner, so I had to order it separately)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I use the windshield for the rides where a major amount of it is on the highway. On the highway I also where a full face. I don't mind my helmet, or some portion of it, being in the windstream but it certainly is more enjoyable getting most of the wind off my torso. Without a windshield I gladly stopped for gas to also take a break from fatigue, with the windshield I have to keep an eye on the gas gage because otherwise I'd be able to go twice the range without stopping.
exactly...I'm all for taking the shield off most of the time, but when I'm going to be on the highway at speed for an hour or so, its nice to not have to fight so hard in the seat.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nice Write-up I'm 6'1 and windshield top line is right at eye level. If I sit real tall I can get above it... Worst then the height of wind shield is the Reflection at night from the Speed-oo at the top half of the shield. Love the Speed-o but that reflection drives me nuts some times...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I run with my speedo dimmed all the way to the lower limit and it still bothers me a bit, not near as bad as when the dash lights were turned all the way up.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I run with my speedo dimmed all the way to the lower limit and it still bothers me a bit, not near as bad as when the dash lights were turned all the way up.
Yea I have ridden with the Dash lights on High or at least I hope they are because if not OMG they are bright now! LOL It was New in Aug and I have thought about looking up how to do it, but of course home at night tired and never thought to look it up here... Kind of like out of site out of mind and never thought of it till the next night ride...

I will do it soon... Maybe...

·
Registered
71 Posts
MEK = methyl ethyl ketone. It is an "industrial" solvent. Used a lot in the aerospace industry as a general cleaner, similar to acetone.

Curious on the edge, why not do a simple flame polish to help get a nice gloss "finished" edge?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts